Wheat IPA recipe attempt.. Thoughts please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So in the summer I drink more wheats and hefe's for their lighter body but crisp flavor so I thought what about combining that light crisp body with some citrusy American hops for a light and citrusy wheat beer. I've looked around and don't see a lot of them so thought I'd give it a try. Here's the first attempt with the aid of Beersmith. This is AG also.

Batch: 5.5 Gal
Boil: 60min
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.012
IBU: 69
SRM: 5.6
ABV: 6.3%

7lbs White Wheat Malt (51%)
5lbs US 2 Row (36.4%)
8oz Honey Malt (3.7%)
1lb Rice Hulls

.5oz Magnum @ 60min (21.3 ibus)
.5oz Simcoe @ 15min (10.7 ibus)
.5oz Mosaic @ 10min (7.1 ibus)
.5oz Citra " " " " (8.2 ibus)
.5oz Mosaic @ 5min (3.9 ibus)
.5oz Citra " " " (4.6 ibus)

1 oz ea Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic for a 30min hopstand @ 160-175 degrees (calculated for a 5 min hopstand in Beersmith for 13.4 Ibus)

Dry hop with 1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic, 1.5oz Simcoe

Yeast: trying to decide between 3x washed WLP001 or a new vial of WLP007 that I plan on washing and using in an upcoming DIPA.

Mash at 152 deg for 60 min

That's pretty much it. Love to hear thoughts, opinions and critiques.

I make most of my IPAs with like 20% wheat because it seems to make them much more soft and have a juicy character. Looks pretty tasty. You may not need the carapils with more than 50% wheat though. That should be adequate for any head retention issues

I make most of my IPAs with like 20% wheat because it seems to make them much more soft and have a juicy character. Looks pretty tasty. You may not need the carapils with more than 50% wheat though. That should be adequate for any head retention issues

That totally slipped my mind re the carapils with all that wheat. Ok Ill go ahead and delete the carapils.

That is pretty close to the grain bill that I use for my American Wheat (with Mosaic as the only hops). Came out super light and crisp so I would think with that hop bill should be what you are looking for. I typically use WLP029 but I think either of your yeasts will work.

Just posted about a similar style as what you have here, pretty much the same intentions as to the flavor profile. Brewing mine up this coming Saturday. Sounds like itll be a winner, keep up posted on how it turns out.

Just posted about a similar style as what you have here, pretty much the same intentions as to the flavor profile. Brewing mine up this coming Saturday. Sounds like itll be a winner, keep up posted on how it turns out.

U as well I'm brewing mine next week. Hoping for the best but I think the recipe and hops should go well.

Latest posts

Back