Wheat Extract Recipe Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicac2

Reaction score
I went to my LHBS and picked up some ingredients. Im not entirely sure how long to boil everything for so I was hoping somebody on here could help me out. Iv done one extract brew 2 weeks ago. It was a kit so it had boiling times included. I bought my own ingredients this time around. Here is what I have, let me know what you think

1 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt - steep for 30 min
6.6 lb Muntons Wheat Malt Extract
1 oz Centennial Pellet Hops - Boil 60 min
1 oz Sweet Orange Peel - Boil 15 min
1 oz Amarillo Pellet Hops - Boil 10 min
11.5 g Ferments WB-06 Dry Wheat Yeast

I told the guy I wanted a slightly hoppy wheat. Just a little above average.
Does this sound ok?

What are you trying to end up with? How bitter do you want it? 1 oz of centennial at 60 min will give more bitterness than a standard Hefeweizen, although there nothing wrong with that if it is what you want.

Do you want a hoppy aroma from the Amarillo? If so I'd move it to the end of the boil. Similar story for the orange peel, the longer it boils the more of those aromatics will be vaporized. Speaking of the orange peel, I’d cut it back to .25 oz or so, you can always make a tea with it and add more if the beer is lacking the flavor you want

Hope that helps, good luck.

From your description of what you're looking for, I agree with Sock. I'd shift the Centennial later (perhaps to a 30 minute boil) and move the Amarillo to flameout. Depending on how much orange you want in the beer, you could try adding half at 15, half at 5 or so to get a good balance. Bear in mind that as you boil it, the flavor will mellow out, so this would be slightly heavier on the orange than your original (or Sock's) recommendation. If you want less orange, yes, reduce it overall or push it earlier in the boil.

Hmm ok, I will try this. Sound good?

Steep 1 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt for 30 minutes
Add 1 oz Centennial Pellet Hops - Boil for 30 min
Add 6.6 lb Muntons Wheat Malt Extract - Boil for 5 minutes
Add .5 oz Sweet Orange Peel - Boil for 15 min
Add .5 oz Sweet Orange Peel - Boil for 5 min
1 oz Amarillo Pellet Hops - @ Flameout
11.5 g Ferments WB-06 Dry Wheat Yeast

Would you recommend using fresh orange zest? or any other type of citrus?

Last time I transferred my wort to a sink of ice water right at flameout. Should I still do this or should I let the wort stay warmer longer because of the Amarillos?

Thanks guys!

I should also mention that 1 lb of honey malt may be too much, it adds a really worty sweetness that I don't care for. I’d probably scale it back to ½ oz.

I don’t have much experience with dried sweet orange peel, but 1 oz still sounds like too much to me.

Looks good otherwise, let us know how it turns out.

I know you already have your hops, but Citra hops really add citrus notes as a finishing hop. I would replace the Amarillo with Citra. I love Amarillo in pale ales.

I did something similar but not quite as hoppy, but I think your recipe sounds pretty good.

I did add .75 oz orange peel at 5 minutes. Nice subtle orange aroma and flavor.

I used actual honey and just added 1 lb at flameout. A little honey flavor but not overwhelming. I uded 6 lbs DME and it did boost the ABV some.

I have never used honey malt but from what I have read it seems to be pretty strong. So I do not know what to tell you on this one.

Amarillo hops are great and have a nice grapefruit flavor (to me) and I think they would work great in this recipe. Maybe split it .5 oz at 5 minutes and another .5 oz at flameout. Thay way you will get slightly more flavor out of them.

I am interested to hear how this comes out. After you brew it let us know the results.

Back