Wheat extract question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogdogg

Reaction score
I'm looking into doing this Belgian wit from sam calagions book. I heard there were a lot of typos in this book & I wanted to confirm it with someone that knows about wheat extract.
It calls for 6.6 lbs. of 40% wheat/ 60% barley LME. or 3.3 lbs. light/pilsner & 3.3 lbs. 100% wheat malt.

So what I'd like to know is:

1.) is the 40% wheat/ 60% barley right? I've seen it at the lhbs the other way (60% wheat/ 40% barley) & 50/50. Could I use 60/40 or 50/50?

2.)what would be the different characteristics of those 2 options that he gave?

i use 60 wheat/40 barley. i'm drinking a very tasty wit right now, coincidentally, made with that ratio. 40/60? not my style. might work for others, but not me.

different taste. barley is more fermentable, so leaves a drier taste. i don't normally like sweet beers, but a hefeweizen or wit needs that taste. it won't be bad; it just won't be right

I just did my Wit with the 40/60 wheat to barley and it has been my most popular with my friends. However, thats more because my other two brews have been IPAs and I have a lack of hop heads for friends. Works out more homebrew for me. What else are you looking to add to this? I added orange/grapefruit zest. Looking to do a rebrew since it was such a hit and really easy to brew.

For a wheat beer, I would think you want more wheat than barley, but what would I know, I am new to this.

I do have an "American Wheat" kit from NB in the carboy right now. It was 65/35 wheat/pale malt syrup. I won't know how it taste till the end of the week!

HA, thats the same reason i'm brewing it. the recipe calls for bitter orange peel, crushed coriander, & a spice of my choice (ie. anise, cinnamon, vanilla, pepper, or ginger). I think my lhbs might carry 40/60 by the pound. I think I'm gonna get that just to stay true to the recipe.

ogdogg said:
HA, thats the same reason i'm brewing it. the recipe calls for bitter orange peel, crushed coriander, & a spice of my choice (ie. anise, cinnamon, vanilla, pepper, or ginger). I think my lhbs might carry 40/60 by the pound. I think I'm gonna get that just to stay true to the recipe.

I just put chamomile flowers in my Belgian wit. It tastes incredible. Check it out.

I did two belgian wit's just recently. I opted to go with a 50/50 wheat and barley mix. Since wheat DME/LME is typically 65% wheat and 35% barley I just divide it out to weight and supply the appropriate pilsen DME to equal 50/50. They came out tasting great.

Rev.

I wouldn't worry too much about the actual wheat percentage as it varies with the manufacture. It's almost always at least 50%. I would be more concerned with just finding a good wheat extract. For example, I wouldn't use an English extract like Munton's for a Wit. Ideally you would want to find one made with Pils and Wheat malt. Regardless if it's 50% or 65% wheat.

Back