wheat beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt c

Reaction score
ive recently became a huge fan of wheat beer, but i have one question. whats the stuff at the bottom of the bottle?

Yeast are certainly safe to drink, but they do have a sort of laxative effect, if you get my drift.

John

matt c said:
ive recently became a huge fan of wheat beer, but i have one question. whats the stuff at the bottom of the bottle?

That's the best part of a Wheat Beer. Not to worry though. Loads of folks still don't know what it's all about.

6.jpg

I was in the German Village in Columbus, OH many years back and ordered a Tucher Hefeweizen. The bartender tried to carefuly pout the beer into the glass and was about to toss the bottle with a half inch of beer left in it. Nein NEIN! I say taking the bottle from him, swirling it and pouring the rest in my glass. The bartender thought I was crazy, but I educated him on the finer things of the Hefe. He was used to pouring Homebrew without the conditioning yeast.

They don't call it Hefe (German for yeast) for nothing. Good Stuff!

I wonder if the yeast will continue to produce alcohol in your stomach....LOL.... i dont think so but how cool would that be!!

As others have said, the yeast is good for you though it may give you a bit of gas. When I was bottling I'd pour the beer into the glass and then pour the last little bit from the bottom right into my mouth. That way none is wasted, I get some good b vitamins, and the yeast don't turn my beer cloudy. Now, for a weizen you should actually pour the yeast into the glass - it's supposed to be there.

Back