Wheat Beer (off)Flavor: Warm vs Chilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmud0314

Reaction score
Hey guys. I brewed a dunkleweizen back in June that I have not been a fan of. My mother in law LOVED IT. I really did not like it. The best description I could give it was sour. I looked through How to Brew and do not find a flavor that matches what I tasted. I gave the last of the brew to the mother in law (made huge points), but found one last brew. So, I just downed it. This time I didn't chill it. I don't drink my beer ice cold, but chilled. Probably in the 50-60 range. Anyway, this one was room temp, and it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I am still a novice in picking out beer flavors, so any ideas?

Details: Northern Brewer all grain batch, BIAB/dunk sparge at 170, liquid yeast, pitched mid/upper 70s (didn't write it down), in fermentor ~3-4 weeks. In bottle now for a while.

Any ideas, I would appreciate it. :mug:

Cold beer has a very restricted flavor profile. Most of the characters don't really come out until the beer heats up to cellar temperature and beyond. In some styles that's desirable, in others not so much.

Play around with it side-by-side, and see what you like best for each of your beers.

Back