wheat beer carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBEER

Reaction score
I bottled my first wheat beer about a week ago and it seems to be taking a really long time to carb up. Does wheat beer usually take longer to carb? I am not worried I am just going to let it sit until it's ready. I'm just wondering.

Beer usually takes about 3 weeks to fully carbonate in the bottle. Its perfectly normal to have little or no carbonation after a week.

The biggest factor is temprature. Anything below 65 will really start to make it take longer. Obviously you don't want to stash bottles in the 110F shed in the summer though. A lot of people report longer conditioning times in the winter because their garage or basement is in the 50-60F range

Yea I had to give up on even trying my brews before the 3 week period was up. Its really just a waste of a beer. Not really but you know what I mean. It takes patience but its worth it.:tank:

My wheat beer was ok after 2 weeks but by the three week marker, it was perfect. I didn't try opening one as early as a week but for me, 2 weeks at about 65-70 was sufficient, 3 weeks was even better.

Another thing to consider (damn it I wish I had Revvys link right about now) is the fact that the CO2 may not have fully absorbed into the beer thus giving you gushers.

Im no 'expert' by any means, but I do have a large handful of brews under my belt. I fell victim to the 'Oh **** it MUST be infected in the bottles cause I have gushers' theory. The said brews were opened at 2 weeks in the bottle. :)

I wasn't expecting a fully carbed beer after a week but it is usually drinkable and my pipeline was low. When I opened it, it was almost flat. I guess this one is just going to take longer.

Back