Wheat and what to do with it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwolfable

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting married mid August and my Fiance's mother gave me a big bucket of wheat from her father's last harvest that she would like me to incorporate into a beer for the wedding. Obviously a Wit would seem like an appropriate beer to brew, however, I'm unsure exactly how to use the wheat with the BIAB method. I'm fairly new to the BIAB scene. I've done 4 batches so far and am looking for advice from anyone that has done something like this in the past.

Thanks!

You can add unmalted wheat to the mash - doesn't matter how you are mashing (in a cooler mash tun, on a stove top, or BIAB), I think.

That's what I was thinking. I'm glad someone was able to confirm it. Has anyone done a cereal mash in a bag before? It seems like it might be extra difficult to clean out. Do you think it would make more sense to do it separately and put it in a muslin bag or something when incorporating into the rest of the malt? I'm not sure how well that would work.

I just did a cereal mash for a wit a couple weeks ago. I had a short protein rest, short saccharification rest, and finally the boil for a while longer. In the end, the cereal mash was no more gummy than other normal all barley mashes. Once I added the cereal mash to the protein-rested main mash (along with 1/2 lb of rice hulls), the consistency was very easy to work with. There was never a chance of a stuck sparge. I was actually very surprised at how NOT-gummy the overall mash was which I think can be attributed to the protein rests of both mashes. My recipes was 40% raw wheat, 50% pilsen, 6% oats, 4% acidulated. But keep in mind this was cooler MLT and not BIAB, however I would have had less worries had I been doing it in a bag :D

St. Pug got to this before I did. The BIAB method is conducive to all wheat brewing as there simply is no mash tun to deal with.

Back