What's Your Winter Brew Name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
At this very moment, I'm preparing for winter here in the Northeast with a guy stomping around overhead in my attic blowing in 13" of R-38 fiberglas insulation. By coincidence (coincidence?) I was also sitting here thinking of a name for my latest IPA. Then... eureka! (No, "eureka" is not the name I came up with --- I suspect that would be brand name infringement.) But I did come up with this:

Since blown-in insulation is fuzzy and it will make me warm, and since my new IPA will also, in its own way, have the potential to create a little 'fuzziness' and 'warmth' on a cold winter night, there was obviously only one logical thing to call it:

"R-38 IPA"

And yours?

I'll be making my first winter brew in a week or two. Haven't had time to be witty or even consider what to make but love the R-Value. Nicely done.

My scotch ale is called Hilltop Hijinks (I only brew it during the winter because the yeast likes lower temperatures). My winter warmer is called Inappropriate Spellbook, something of inside joke relating to DnD. (Yes, I'm that nerdy)

I Just call mine Cheer Beer '14

I've thought about Belly Jiggler, Coal Giver, Santa's Milk, and a few others but I just decided to go with Cheer Beer and the year.

I call mine the Hinterland Milk Stout.

I got it from Nightmare Before Christmas. Hinterland is the place where all the Holiday Doors are.

The reason I call it that is due to the fact that I am going to brew a milk stout after Halloween but with some Pumpkin in it, so its between all the end-of-year holidays.

Reindeer Ale. My wife will decorate the bottles up like reindeer when we take it up to the family for Christmas. It's a Strong English ale.

Gingerbread Brown, a brown ale with gingerbread spices, vanilla, and molasses. Based on how it's fermenting, I'm looking at about 6.2% ABV which will be nice for the winter.

Gingerbread Brown, a brown ale with gingerbread spices, vanilla, and molasses. Based on how it's fermenting, I'm looking at about 6.2% ABV which will be nice for the winter.

Sounds tasty. What gingerbread spices do you use?

Sounds tasty. What gingerbread spices do you use?

For ground spices, I used cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, plus the molasses, all near flameout. I'll be adding a vanilla bean to the fermenter later in the week (I'd be adding 2 if I had more than 1 on me), then bottling about a week after that.

I'm hoping I didn't overspice it, but I'll at least drink it anyway. Last time I did the cinnamon and fresh ginger in a tincture added at bottling, but I wanted to see how well the ground spices would work this time around. I'll probably be making adjustments for next winter.

For ground spices, I used cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, plus the molasses, all near flameout. I'll be adding a vanilla bean to the fermenter later in the week (I'd be adding 2 if I had more than 1 on me), then bottling about a week after that.

I'm hoping I didn't overspice it, but I'll at least drink it anyway. Last time I did the cinnamon and fresh ginger in a tincture added at bottling, but I wanted to see how well the ground spices would work this time around. I'll probably be making adjustments for next winter.

I've done 2 winter beers with cinnamon and ginger in them (in the boil) and I'm ready to try something different so that's why I was asking. Hardywood does an oak bourbon gingerbread stout that's supposed to be fantastic. I live 2 hours north of Richmond so It's hard for me to get. Figure I'd try making my own. Thanks and good luck.

I just bottled an Oat meal cookie stout. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.
Started with a standard oat meal stout, at flame out I added brown sugar and cinnamon.
Primed at bottling with more brown sugar.

I've done 2 winter beers with cinnamon and ginger in them (in the boil) and I'm ready to try something different so that's why I was asking. Hardywood does an oak bourbon gingerbread stout that's supposed to be fantastic. I live 2 hours north of Richmond so It's hard for me to get. Figure I'd try making my own. Thanks and good luck.

I'll have to update the forum around Christmas when it's matured enough, hope you'll see the update then.

I'm sure I'll morph it into a porter or stout in the following years; it's only a brown ale still because I'm lazy and didn't feel like changing it this year. The original was an extract I did two years ago when I picked up a pumpkin brown ale kit on clearance after Halloween and modified it into a Christmas beer. Heh.

I'll have to update the forum around Christmas when it's matured enough, hope you'll see the update then.

I'm sure I'll morph it into a porter or stout in the following years; it's only a brown ale still because I'm lazy and didn't feel like changing it this year. The original was an extract I did two years ago when I picked up a pumpkin brown ale kit on clearance after Halloween and modified it into a Christmas beer. Heh.

Mine is a black beer too but it's not really either a stout or a porter. It's just one of those hybrids beers that's black. I've brewed the same xmas beer for a few years now so I was thinking about changing it up.

Yea, I'd like to hear how your beer matures in a couple months. I'll try to remember to check back! Thanks man.

Back