What's your take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
I've stumped the jury here and apparently I can't stay neutral so figured I'd see what everyone thinks. I'm skirting the line calling it experimental so I've been told so here we go. Friends that (have) brewed and others that are working the google are back and forth.

My Bochet got started in part because I had amber honey that was getting crystallized so once I got that fluid again I worked with it until I had 2.5 lbs of caramelized honey. It was giving off the toffee/caramel note but a vanilla hint too so not quite what I wanted but I really didn't want to go darker and end up with a foul burnt taste.

Decided to push the caramel note like I want by yanking out the 10L caramel malt I have on hand so I'm running 1lb malt (1/2 caramel 1/2 2 row) to the 2.5lbs honey which technically puts me in braggot range. It's a 1gal batch also. I didn't go up to 3lb honey, glad I didn't because SG was 1.130

So there came the argument... is it a braggot... or... is it a bochet.

That's what I was saying! Depending on what that vanilla note does it might get vanilla beans in secondary so that should be interesting to see if more argument pops up then!

I think BJCP wise it would fall into the experimental mead catagory.

It would looking at the publication for them.

They're still throwing it back and forth I said its both so shush lol idk long as it's good that's all that matters

It is "Open Category Mead" aka weirdomel. Some of the best meads are in this category.

Tell your friends to shut up and drink it!

Latest posts

Back