What's Your Observed Behavior Per Yeast Strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryat66

Reaction score
This isn't another "what's wrong with my beer thread?"

I'm just curious what others fermentation experiences are like with different yeast strains and I'm hoping maybe this thread can help others know what to expect when using certain yeast strains. Just to set a baseline: my ferm chamber is a 5 cu. ft. deep freeze controlled dual-stage temp controller, I make starters based on Mr. Malty's calculator and spin them for 18-24 hours, I pitch 2F-3F below my target ferment temp with almost every strain and allow to rise to the ferment temp w/ a 2F differential set on my temp controller.

We all know Cal Ale (WLP001,WY1056,S05), most of us love Cal Ale but what is everyone's experience with Cal Ale once it's underway? I have tried starting it anywhere from 60F-65F liquid temp and letting it ferment out from 65F-68F and it always blows off for me once it's rolling. Having said that, I use a blowoff on every ferment just to minimize risk. Also, it seems like it takes 7-10 days to finish where as the English strains are basically done and have reach FG in 5-6 days. BUT...the end result is always the same with Cal Ale, a tasty brew!

Ringwood (WLP005,WY1187) is my favorite English strain bar-none. I start it at 62F-63F and let it ferment out at 65F-66F and raise 2F/day up to 70F to finish out. I usually see a visible krausen around 10-12 hours and it's usually done in 3-4 days but I primary it 14 days or so before going directly to the keg. I do find that it wants to drop kinda early but thats fixed with a swirl of the carboy in the AM and PM. I wouldn't say this yeast's behavior is like clock work for me but it too produces tasty brews!

Weihenstephan Weizen (WLP300,WY3068) is my go to weissbier strain. I start it at 56F-58F and let it ride up to 62F-64F where I hold it until FG is reached, I have found raising the temp on this strain serves no real purpose which is why I just hold it. It's an explosive ferment every time! In fact, sometimes the blowoff sounds like a continuous stream of pressure blowing into the blowoff container which will carry on for several minutes. The beers ALWAYS attenuate without fail and the resulting beer is creamy, banana-ey, clove-ey and just downright tasty!

Those are my main three. What are other brewer's experiences with these strains and others?

I have brewed my last two beers using Conan strain(Gigayeast Vermont Ale) version. I have found after two to three days when active fermentation subsides, you really need to get your beer up to around 70* for them to get active again and finish off and get a decent attenuation. If not they just want to be done. At least that has been my experience. My APA I brewed last Tuesday(1 week ago) looked done since Friday. I bumped the temp up to 70 yesterday and my blowoff bowl is full of bubbles again, this is after a few days of nothing visible.

Back