whats your mash temp for NE IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
What temp do you like to mash NE IPA at? I hear some people like to go higher then with a classic WC IPA..It brew day for me tomorrow and would like to hear your thoughts cheers

1st one I mashed at 151. Last one I bumped it slightly to 153. It's still bottle conditioning, but I was looking for just a little more body than the first, although that had been my best beer to date.

I'm brewing one right now and mashing at 149. That's what Neil Fisher at Weldwerks recommended.

Right on..im gonna go @ 152 then rest at 156..i hope i can get this beer ready by aug 6th for this wedding? whats the turn around time on one of these puppies?

I usually get my NEIPA brews kegged 14 days from pitching.
That includes two dry hop additions and a couple of days cold-crashing...

Cheers!

ps: I mash at 152 with a full mash-out (I do fly sparges).

Right on..im gonna go @ 152 then rest at 156..i hope i can get this beer ready by aug 6th for this wedding? whats the turn around time on one of these puppies?

I've been grain to glass in 21 days bottle conditioning. At 28 days it was better, 35 days was really the sweet spot, although they held up pretty good. I think I finished the last bottle about 7 weeks after I brewed it. They went pretty quick.

Mash high, like 156F. Remember higher FGs as a result of proper fermentation will not be overly sweet. There will be some extra sweetness, but that plays nicely with the juice-bomb character.

I'd say it's all dependent on which yeast you decided to ferment with and your target OG/ABV. For London Ale III/1318, 149 F seems to work well with IPAs in the 6-7% ABV range. But for other more attenuative strains, you may want to mash a bit higher to maintain body.

I've only done one batch but I mashed at 156F. This decision was mostly based on reading the Tree House Julius Yeast thread.

150 all day but it really depends what specialty malts you're using. If you're using all base malts you can get away with mashing slightly higher, say 152, but if you have crystal malts in the mash I have found, since they're unfermentable, you can mash lower and still get some sweetness.

Since NE IPA, to my knowledge anyway, isn't an official bjcp style yet the door is wide open for your own interpretation on the style. I dig WC IPAs but I like the punch of hop flavor NE IPAs have. I think my perfect IPA is mostly dry with clean yeast character, about 60-70 IBUs, and lots of hops flavor without the fruit juice aspect and the soft mouth feel.

It's not so much about taste as it is about mouthfeel. If you brew the same beer over and over again, you'll be able to notice a difference.

Do you think you can taste the difference between 150 and 152, in a neipa?

A friend and I just made the same beer we didn't know we were making the same beer. He was over this past weekend and brought a growler of his and I taped mine the day before. His was mashed at 150 and it was drier and clearer than mine mashed at 152.

We both run a herms coil with the blichmann top and the probe is in the same location so I'm pretty confident that our systems perform similarly. We were kinda surprised at the difference. So yeah I think you can taste the difference in mash temps in a neipa.

Used 154.4 F / 68 C with Wyeast 1318. 77% attenuation. Dropped from 1.060 to 1.013. I fermented warm.

Back