What's Your Favorite Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpool

Reaction score
As I now have 17 batches under my belt, I was thinking about all the recipes I've made. There's one in particular that I reach for most and it's the simplest...a SMASH IPA with Maris Otter malt and Galaxy hops. I've been moving away from bitter beers and this one is just perfect on the palate to me. It's got just enough bitterness to balance the beer and has amazing flavor from the hops. It was my first "from scratch" recipe and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

So, with that, what is your favorite homebrew? What about it did you find particularly satisfying?

My favorite? The one in front of me most times. ;) I like my Cougar Country IPA for it's combination of commercial NE IPA's, and the resiny quality of Pliny The Elder. But I also like my Kottbusser, for being pilsner-like with that bit of tartness on the back. Or my Whiskely stout I named " Queen Anne's Revenge"...&...&...:mug:

My Westvleteren 12 clone I made in 2014 was far and away my favorite. I have had other successes but that's my all time, silver chalice accomplishment as a homebrewer. IMO that is...

Mine keeps changing. At first, it was the Blood Orange Hefeweizen, and it still ranks very high on the list. Then my recent IPA took the top spot. Now, just based on a preliminary sample bottle after one week, and no extended lagering, the scale is tipping towards my Czech Pale Lager. That may be the beer that moves me away from drinking 98% IPAs, APAs, Hefe's. I had never really cared for most of the lagers I had tried, and stayed mainly with the Pale Ale, and Hefe styles, but the early sample of this blew me away. I brewed an Oktoberfest/Marzen today, so who knows....it may take the top spot when it's done. I am still going to brew my Ales, but the Czech Pale Lager at this point may just become the one beer I HAVE to have on hand at all times.

My Westvleteren 12 clone I made in 2014 was far and away my favorite. I have had other successes but that's my all time, silver chalice accomplishment as a homebrewer. IMO that is...

Do you have a link to the Westvleteren 12 recipe? May need to try that one.

Erik, That Czech Pale Lager sounds fantastic right now in this AZ desert heat.

I find that I do a lot of Brown Ales. They are quite a bit different from one another. I have about 20 different malts and almost 30 different hops on hand, so a session with Beersmith results in another brown ale.

Though I seem to be stuck in that rut and have a lot of hop on hand so I think there will be a few IPAs in succession to lower the inventory.....

The first stout I made will always be my favorite. It showed me that I really can make good beer.

The one that's waiting for me when I get home from work...

But of all the beers that I have made so far, I think it's my California Common. It's light enough to drink a lot of, but it's got enough flavor to keep it from being boring...

Thanks! I think I'll try my hand at the first recipe (simpler grain bill) and see how it goes. When did you add the syrup to yours? How long did you age yours?

Syrup was added in the last10 minutes of the boil. I began drinking it about 6 months in the bottle and had my last one in April, about 1.5 years after brewday.

Out of the 5 years of brewing a new batch once a month, I'd have to say my favorite is my Jade pale ale with pacific Jade simcoe and citra hops. I am lucky enough that is was chosen as a summer release with noblebrewer.com so beers lovers all over the country have tried it with great response as well.

recently brewed an IPA called Trapped in Amber (nice amber color). ESB malt, Golden naked oats, Victory and Torrified wheat.

Waimea, Columbus, Mosaic, Eldorado, Citra, Amarillo. London ESB (Wyeast 1968)

Tropical fruit without being fruit punch. Firm hoppiness without being overly bitter. Wonderful aroma. Smooth mouth feel, lingering hop taste.

Favorite brew ever.

My favorite so far is what we're calling our House IPA. 2 row, Columbus to bitter and lots of Mosaic for flavor & aroma. I've got an iteration of it in the keg right now (I say iteration because the LHBS was out of 2-row, so had to use Maris Otter) and it's even better on tap. Next favorite would be the Dead Guy clone that was my first keg. One of the guys at our LHBS gave me a bottle of the Dead Guy he made, and mine was closer to the original.

My favorite so far is what we're calling our House IPA. 2 row, Columbus to bitter and lots of Mosaic for flavor & aroma. I've got an iteration of it in the keg right now (I say iteration because the LHBS was out of 2-row, so had to use Maris Otter) and it's even better on tap. Next favorite would be the Dead Guy clone that was my first keg. One of the guys at our LHBS gave me a bottle of the Dead Guy he made, and mine was closer to the original.

I experienced mosaic hops for the first time in Founder's Mosaic Promise and loved it. I plan to make a session IPA soon so that would be a great hop to try out. Thanks for the idea :)

My best beer to date was a "banana wheat." Some may consider banana an off flavor from the yeast but this was intended.

My Citra Pale Ale - OG = ~1.068, IBU = ~56

Grains
10 lb. 4 oz. Pale Malt, Marris Otter US
10 oz. Carmel / Crystal Malt 40L
10 oz. Munich Malt
8 oz. Wheat Malt

Hops
0.50 oz. Citra [14.5%] (60 min)
0.80 oz. Citra [14.5%] (30 min)
0.50 oz. Citra [14.5%] (steep 5 min )
2.00 oz. Citra [14.5%] (dry hop)

Yeast
1 Vial White Labs California Ale (WLP-001)

Wait a minute. The LHBS was out of 2 row? 2 row?

What the hell kind of LHBS runs out of 2 row. Not that MO isn't a great base malt, but they were out of 2 row?

Yup. Apparently their supplier was out. I just called them a while ago and they got everything in, brewday this weekend!!

Back