What's your favorite/"go-to" Pale Ale grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to try and split MO and 2-Row. Just to see. Some like

6 Lb - Maris Otter
4.5 Lb - 2-row
1 Lb - Crystal 40L
.5 Lb - Carapils

is that weird?

that sounds like a ton of crystal.

i dont really have a "house" recipe i use. changes a bit everytime.

I just threw together an APA with what I had left at the time and it came out great:

82% Row
8% Rye
8% C-40
2% C-80

Citra APA

9.0 lbs Two Row
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

0.75 oz Citra @ 60
0.50 oz Citra @ 15
0.50 oz Citra @ 5

Safale S-05

Smells like sprite, tastes like sunshine.

6lb pale malt
4lb mild malt
1lb crystal 60L
(and perhaps an ounce or two of roasted barley)

of course, the hop bill will tell you why I do it like that - my pale ale is English, not American. Only once even done it the other way, and that was a cheapo beer that involved the second runnings from a honey tripel, with a bit of corn sugar for gravity and C60 for color and body. Came out quite well, actually.

Citra APA

9.0 lbs Two Row
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

0.75 oz Citra @ 60
0.50 oz Citra @ 15
0.50 oz Citra @ 5

Safale S-05

Smells like sprite, tastes like sunshine.

I like using a small amount of Honey Malt in my Pales's and IPA's too.

7.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Crystal 60*L

Mash at 154*F for an hour.

47% 2-Row
35% Vienna
12% Wheat
6% Crystal 20

I mash at 151-152*F and target OG of 1.048-1.050.
Bitter to 40-45 IBUs and use a lot of late C-hops and dry hops.

87% Pale malt
9% Munich malt
4% C60 or C40 (depending on what I have)

Its a winner every time. I hop to 44 IBUs and love the hell out've this beer. The most recent version with Chinook and Cascade is fantastic

KraphtBier said:
87% Pale malt
9% Munich malt
4% C60 or C40 (depending on what I have)

Its a winner every time. I hop to 44 IBUs and love the hell out've this beer. The most recent version with Chinook and Cascade is fantastic

Can you share the OG/fg too? Mash temp? Thanks!

Will BeerSmith convert the %'s into pounds for me. I'm new to BeerSmith and trying to learn as much as I can from their tutorials. Just wondering if this is an option.

Also what do you guys think about this.
6 lbs - Maris Otter
3 lbs - Golden Promise
.5 lbs - C40
.5 lbs - Honey malt

I have only used GP for IPA's. Is this too much of it?

I've found I like something to the tune of 85% base malt, 9% flaked oats or barley, 6% crystal 60l.
Sometimes I also add up to maybe 6 or 7% biscuit for a bit of a bready character (subbed from the base malt).

Can you share the OG/fg too? Mash temp? Thanks!

OG 1.054-1.056 (depending on how well the mash goes)
FG 1.010-1.012
Mash at 152-154 (I shoot for 154 but have come in low a few times) for 60 minutes or more. Sometimes 75 minutes but no longer.

Mild malt is a base malt. It's lower grade grain kilned slightly darker than regular pale malt (but lighter than Vienna malt).

If it's for pale ale I like 100% British pale malt or 80% British pale malt and 20% flaked maize. For X ales I like 50% British pale and 50% Belgian ale malt or mild malt.

I don't have a "goto" recipe yet, I'm still experimenting. But I always keep it simple. Most recent brew: 96.5% pale ale malt, 3.5% Special B.

zombie thread...

86% Pale or Pale Ale
9% Munich or Vienna
5% C malt.

Haven't seen this thread in a while. :) I still keep things simple. 95% pale ale malt and 5% sugar works. So does 90% pils and 10% Munich. I don't use crystal malt much anymore except when I brew dark beers, like porter.

Back