What's your biggest non brewing hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do jiu jitsu. Basically choke people a couple times a week

Me too! Well I was... Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, the whole deal. I get to start up again mid Jan when my wife gets back from NY. I've warned people at work about the occasional black eye, etc. They think I'm trying cover up spousal abuse...

I did the whole record deal, touring thing back in the early 2000s and it was a blast but man is that a tough way to earn a living.. away for months at a time, living out of a suitcase etc.

Check out some licensing companies like Jingle Punks to help you get some music placed on tv etc. It's not enough to support a family but it can help put a few bucks in your pocket.

Yeah I don't sweat the money side of it too much. As long as we can bring enough money back in to keep doing it I'm good. Music makes a better hobby than a career. So does brewing. For me.

Sharpening my set of high quality cooking knives and sharpening friends knives that i find are insultingly dull.

I would say being awesome, but that's just a way of life. I suppose my hobby is running down American Bison on foot and hog tying them. that & bare knuckle boxing mountain gorillas while they are high on angel dust. sometimes I have to explain the occasional scrape or bruise, but it's a fun way to kill time.

Most of my hobbies are related to "food experience" enjoyments: craft beer (homemade and commercial), wine (homemade and commercial), Bourbon / Scotch / Cocktails (exclusively commercial) BBQ (homemade and commercial) and a variety of cuisines (these days more commercial, not much time to cook with a yound family. And of course, a great meal should be followed by a fine cigar.

I have twin 7-year-olds, so I spend time with my son mostly playing video games, and a variety of things with my daughter, she's an outdoors person, loves her swing set.

I love to read and watch movies. I also have a home gym (dumbbells, Smith Rack, Cables) and love to walk and hike around beautiful CO. My road and mountain bicycles are mostly dusty these days, I hope to do more of this as the kids get older, as well as take up skiing once again.

And I hate to admit in addition to my HBT time, I like to keep up with friends, brewpubs, breweries, etc. on FB.

Me too! Well I was... Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, the whole deal. I get to start up again mid Jan when my wife gets back from NY. I've warned people at work about the occasional black eye, etc. They think I'm trying cover up spousal abuse...

lol at spousal abuse. Man, you're tough doing Muay Thai. I did it for a year til somebody hyperextended my knee with a leg kick... Now it's just bjj for me. Mostly gi. Still have to roll with a knee brace

i have a small business that i still consider a hobby, making hammock camping gear www.tewaunderquilts.com
fly toy heli's
cook
fly fish
backpacking
riding my sportster
soon to be mountain biking
i'd like to start a small garden also

A fellow dog trainer. Nice.

I don't train for anything nearly as important as service dogs but I am an assistant head trainer at our dog club. We train a sport called Schutzhund. We also help to correct behavior issues. That takes up 15 hours a week (and that's only during training time when the club is open).

Nice! I know the sport I also help with it. My main thing is scent detection, but I Had surgery a while ago so my feet make it difficult to be mobile and do much with the dogs. Hopefully I'll be walking properly in 4-5 months. Military takes a toll, so brewing is my thing now lol

Scuba diving, I used to bounce deep, then I got some training and I don't do that anymore. But I still like spending the day under water.

Motorcycle Roadracing

image.jpg

Nice! I know the sport I also help with it. My main thing is scent detection, but I Had surgery a while ago so my feet make it difficult to be mobile and do much with the dogs. Hopefully I'll be walking properly in 4-5 months. Military takes a toll, so brewing is my thing now lol

Tracking is my least favorite part, but when they do a good track, it feels pretty awesome.

I hear you about the military. My hips are all sorts of jacked up. I'm "supposed" to be taking three 800mg Ibuprofens a day, but decided I would like to keep my liver fresh for home brew :)

Tracking is my least favorite part, but when they do a good track, it feels pretty awesome.

I hear you about the military. My hips are all sorts of jacked up. I'm "supposed" to be taking three 800mg Ibuprofens a day, but decided I would like to keep my live fresh for home brew :)

Ibuprofen is processed through your kidneys

Ibuprofen is processed through your kidneys

From the Mayo Clinic

Over-the-counter pain relievers. Nonprescription pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen (Aleve, others) can damage your liver, especially if taken frequently or combined with alcohol.

Ibuprofen is processed through both, but most importantly all NSAIDS stop mucous membrane of human stomach, from forming, letting our own stomach acids eat in to the lining of our GI tract, causing internal bleeding. bet your guys are sorry you said anything... Wait, wait here's the best part. When we bleed out inside the GI tract, it looks like coffee grounds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_ground_vomiting
I'm thread jacking, my bad, very sorry, will stop now..

Ibuprofen is processed through both, but most importantly all NSAIDS stop mucous membrane of human stomach, from forming, letting our own stomach acids eat in to the lining of our GI tract, causing internal bleeding. bet your guys are sorry you said anything... Wait, wait here's the best part. When we bleed out inside the GI tract, it looks like coffee grounds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_ground_vomiting

New hobby

I paddle my kayak every chance I get. A few times a week in the warmer months and whenever I can during cool weather. I love camping, hiking and biking as well but kayaking is definitely my favorite. Looking forward to a new boat this year and a drysuit for the winter.

Cooking...I like to cook, but don't like to HAVE to cook.

Hunting & shooting. ...but on a Daily basis my favorite pastime is aggravating my kids. I don't know what I did with all my free time before kids. :)

Cooking both inside and outside, custom knifemaking, shooting, hunting, reloading, R/C airplanes, golf, archery... I do a lot...

I'd say that Brewing is my biggest hobby right now. I've been taking Karate for a little more than a year now, that's probably a close second. I can relate to coming to work bruised up. It's pretty comical to see people's reactions when you show them a bruise the size of a dollar bill on your forearm.

I like to ride bikes. I bike for transportation and for recreation; keeps the weight down. I also play drums and guitar, mostly death/black metal, so that's pretty physically demanding. I also enjoy cooking and reading. I used to train Ving Tsun Kung Fu, but decided I wanted to spend money and energy on other things. Great skill to have though.

i'm also a guitar player. I like shred, metal and progressive stuff. I don't know if you could call it a hobby but I also shave with a straight razor and dabble in restoring them.

I paddle my kayak every chance I get. A few times a week in the warmer months and whenever I can during cool weather. I love camping, hiking and biking as well but kayaking is definitely my favorite. Looking forward to a new boat this year and a drysuit for the winter.

I notice you are in Portland. Do you whitewater kayak? I live in Ashland and have been meaning to paddle some rivers up in your area. If you're ever interested in coming down this way to paddle the Rogue or Smith let me know. Also, drinking a booty beer isn't as bad when it's with homebrew.

I notice you are in Portland. Do you whitewater kayak? I live in Ashland and have been meaning to paddle some rivers up in your area. If you're ever interested in coming down this way to paddle the Rogue or Smith let me know. Also, drinking a booty beer isn't as bad when it's with homebrew.

Back