What's wrong with the world imo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that every two bit actor who played a minor part in some obscure movie or TV series has a wikipedia page and the arguably most accomplished homebrewer of all time, Gordon Strong, doesn't.

Discuss.

The fact that every two bit actor who played a minor part in some obscure movie or TV series has a wikipedia page and the arguably most accomplished homebrewer of all time, Gordon Strong, doesn't.

Discuss.
No offense intended but, Who is Gordon Strong.

Personally I could not care less who has a wiki page and who doesn't. I don't follow any celebrity.
I appreciate those who do share useful information but even the most popular need to stand-up to scrutiny.
When the price is free sometimes the info is worth exactly that much.
And I surely would not blame Mr. Strong if the reason is based on not wanting to maintain such a page.

My guess would be actors pay managers to promote them ... who pay people to write wikipedia pages? I mean anyone can make a wikipedia page for anyone or any thing right ?

Other than his accomplishments in the BJCP program, what are his accomplishments? I'm not being snarky, I honestly don't know.

Sorry for being obtuse. Gordon Strong has won 3 Ninkasi awards which is given to the person who scores the most points at the National Homebrew Competition and is the only person to win 3. He's the highest ranking judge in the BJCP and has authored a couple homebrewing books and many articles in Zymurgy and other brewing publications.

You guys really never heard of Gordon Strong?

I know of Gordon Strong, probably from zymurgy cause I dont follow anything else that was mentioned. I can't say I disagree with the op but also agree with one mention above that maybe it was Gordon's preference to not have a wikipedia thingmabob. Personally other then this forum I have no social media and obviously that's my preference, if someone wanted to open something or write something online about my personal achievements and/or faults I would tell them to get bent. Just me but I dont need or want my life open to the public more then it already is.

damn i know i'm slow, but that took me a while and a helping clarification....and a refresh on the page.....and i still don't know if i get it...

i had all kinds of thoughts about asembly language? memory modules? but it was missing the A for that....

Sorry for being obtuse. Gordon Strong has won 3 Ninkasi awards which is given to the person who scores the most points at the National Homebrew Competition and is the only person to win 3. He's the highest ranking judge in the BJCP and has authored a couple homebrewing books and many articles in Zymurgy and other brewing publications.

ok, so "Gordon Strong" is your "Pen Name"?

You are the community of Wikipedia. If you think it is missing, create a page about him. Celebrities have their pages because people are interested in them and take the time and effort to create pages about these people. The review process tries to take care that things stay objective.

Want a Wikipedia page? Dig up the facts about Gordon Strong, then write all about it .

You are the community of Wikipedia. If you think it is missing, create a page about him. Celebrities have their pages because people are interested in them and take the time and effort to create pages about these people. The review process tries to take care that things stay objective.

Want a Wikipedia page? Dig up the facts about Gordon Strong, then write all about it .

^^^^. This. I am going to single out the OP, but wouldn't the world be better (to specifically address the the OP Title question) if instead of complaining from the sidelines, why not get in the arena and do more than just be a critic? I am reminded of many world events where bad things happened because good people waited around for others to take actions. Not that the absence of a Gordon Strong wiki page is a real tragedy but the OP sorta made himself an example to answer his own question.

Ironic since it was a nice gesture to remind us of one of the good guys who gives back to the homebrew world.

Enlighten me!
There was a guy on here a while ago named ismellweird (search the user, read the threads, you won't be disappointed). Every post he made was even more epic than the last. It first started with how he had sewage in his kettle while he was making a cupcake stout (with actual cupcakes). Then there was one where he claimed to have had a friendship with Kato Kealin. Then one about him trying to make a barrel out of old pressure treated deck boards to do some barrel aging. Drama about his speech to text program. There are some hilarious back and forths between him and @Jayjay1976 . Sadly, Smelly Melly has stopped posting. Rumor has it, he and Kato ran off together.

Last edited:
There was a guy on here a while ago named ismelweird (search the user, read the threads, you won't be disappointed). Every post he made was even more epic than the last. It first started with how he had sewage in his kettle while he was making a cupcake stout (with actual cupcakes). Then there was one where he claimed to have had a friendship with Kato Kealin. Then one about him trying to make a barrel out of old pressure treated deck boards to do some barrel aging. Drama about his speech to text program. There are some hilarious back and forths between him and @Jayjay1976 . Sadly, Smelly Melly has stopped posting. Rumor has it, he and Kato ran off together.
Thanks for the heads up!

May be time to go outside and walk around a little.

No offense intended but, Who is Gordon Strong.

Personally I could not care less who has a wiki page and who doesn't. I don't follow any celebrity.
I appreciate those who do share useful information but even the most popular need to stand-up to scrutiny.
When the price is free sometimes the info is worth exactly that much.
And I surely would not blame Mr. Strong if the reason is based on not wanting to maintain such a page.
The bigger surprise is that there are homebrewers who don't know who Gordon Strong is. Gordon is the author of Brewing Better Beer and Modern Homebrew Recipe and more. Gordon is also President Emeritus of the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP). As the BJCP Style Committee Chairman he is instrumental updating and publishing the BJCP guidelines. He is a contributor to virtually every major beer and homebrew related magazine and frequent guest on several of the most popular beer and homebrewing podcasts. Definitely one of those who should be on the homebrewers version of Mt. Rushmore.

The bigger surprise is that there are homebrewers who don't know who Gordon Strong is.
I suspect most people follow content providers (forums, magazines, many video channels), not content creators (authors of books & articles, blogs, some video channels).

Definitely one of those who should be on the homebrewers version of Mt. Rushmore.
This was a topic over in that other popular home brewing forum a couple of years ago. I suspect 2023 version of the discussion would include a couple of new 'faces' (Janish? Weikert?, ...).

Homebrew All Stars (book) is an interesting starting point for anyone willing to follow expert brewers / content creators. In 2023, some of them can be found over at CB&B.

Well Jim wasn't the greatest president, but I think his lifetime achievements are at the top if not the top.

i was born in 78...so don't know, but when i was 18 my mom got me a homebrew kit, and it spared me from meth addiction...so i LOVE the guy! i'd say i'd cry at his funeral, but to tell the truth 98 is a good run, i was more broken up when his grandson died young.....

Definitely one of those who should be on the homebrewers version of Mt. Rushmore.

so a volcano? that most looks like a beer glass.....either hawaii, or the PNW....

edit: or now that i think i like my beer cold, one near a obsidian field? not that i support the cardassians......

Back