whats with my capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapes

Reaction score
Does anyone have this happen? I have 2 cappers both on new, or little used side and they both do this.

cap.jpg

Most campers (mine at least) have a small magnet in the center about that size, set into a metal ring. Are the magnets missing from yours? I was just thinking it could be an impression from the ring where they are supposed to be.

A lot of cappers do this. There is a pin that pushes down when you release the capper to help push the capper up off the bottle after crimping.

totally normal, I like it because sometimes if it feels like it capped too easily, it lets me know that it's sealed.

I get the same thing from my wing capper if I crank down on it nice an hard. Nothing to worry about.

AS Everyone has already said. IT's normal. I like the dimple as it gives me a good impresison the level of carbonation in the bottle.

It may be normal but I don't think you need to live with it. The first capper I bought, one of the plastic wing ones, did not leave the dimples. After that one broke I bought one of the metal ones and it did leave the dimple. I lived with it for a while then stumbled upon a similar question someone had about an older capper they were refurbishing. Turns out their capper was missing a little plastic washer that fit inside of the capper "bell". I made one of these for my capper and it worked, no more dimples. I used a sheet of rubber gasket material (sold by Lowes in in the plumbing section for cutting out your own gaskets; I had it on hand) but I'm sure other materials would work. I made the diameter match the diameter of the bell with the hole in the middle fitting around the magnet. Friction with the bell at the outer diameter holds it in.

My Red Baron capper makes a smaller,shallower indent. But the difference is that the bell on the RED baron is replaceable,where the bell on the black metal one isn't. Anyway,I think the bell stretched out on my Red Baron,as the caps are ever so looser than normal as to leak under co2 pressure in the head space. Typically when the room gets warm. Not loose enough to turn the cap,but enough to leak co2. Seems I've found my low carb problem. When the room gets warm,I can smell wiffs of sweet malt kinda thing.
I've ordered a super agata bench capper among other things. Should be here later today...

Back