Whats up with Hefeweizens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I can make an IPA and within reason it tastes like an IPA.

I can make a stout and within reason it tastes like a stout.

I can make a belgian strong and within reason it tastes like Belgian strong.

I can make a hefe but within reason it doesn't tastes like a hefe.

Is there something unique to hefe's that make them particularly difficult to make? I noticed that American breweries don't seem to make good hefe's and the best ones tend to be from Germany.

Any thoughts?

Since they are a very basic grainbill, Hefes are all about the yeast. Which yeasts have you tried? Do you have temperature control for fermentation? IMO those are the biggest factor in a good hefe.

Yeast = wyeast 3068
No temp control. However, this isn't unique to my hefe's. None of my beers have temp control.

Hefe yeast is VERY temperamental. Keep it in the low 60s to get a good hefe flavor.anything higher and it starts to give weird off flavors. If your temps fluctuate between 75 and 80 you get a strange fuselage alcohol taste that never goes away.

I just made the Brewers Best Weizenbier kit. Turned out very close to the taste of Franziskaner. Came with Danstar Munich yeast.

I was never able to make a Hefe until I started controlling my fermentation temperatures. I like to start it in the low 60s and let it slowly go to 68. The last Hefe I made was a smashing hit at my homebrew club (I brought the whole batch to a meeting).

If you can't control temperature, start it very low so most of the fermentation is done before it gets too warm.

to the op .. 3068 is good, also I have had great results with white labs 300, but i do believe i read they are the same strain. I tried the dry danstar munich as someone suggested and didnt like it as much. The neat thing about hefes is that thru temperature you can get clove, banana, bubblegum.. What do you prefer in your hefes? I like the banana/bubblegum side more than the clove so I tend to stick with the warmer fermentations. Im really not afraid of letting active fermentation hit 70 degrees. If you like more clove maybe try white labs 380. Just my opinion, but I did medal with my hefe at a pretty good size homebrew comp up here.

I like all hefe's. I think they are one of the best and most unique of all beers.
However, because you asked, if I were to choose, I like the banana side of hefe's.

i gave up on hefe's as there don't seem to be enough yeast strains to choose from. I do have temperature control and always ferment at 60F. i don't like 3068 nor any others. try doing an american wheat with s-05. that may be what you are looking for. be sure to mash 153 or 154 too, so you get some body. nothing worse than a thinned out wheat

This will cause some debate but the only way to get it right in a Hefe is decoction mash period. A good planned out step mash will get you close but you NEED to do a decoction with wheat.

Dunno, I've made a very good hefe without decoction. I do however always do a feulic acid rest. I know there is some debate as to whether or not it makes a difference but my weizens have always had tons of good spicy character when I've done one.

Get's your temps under control and it'll go a long ways toward making a hefe. I brewed this recipe last year and it came out excellent. Fermentation temp was 62 with Wyeast 3638. I don't mind a decoction or step mash, but fermentation temp is more important to start.

Also, unless you mean to make a crystalweizen, don't let your keg sit around for a month conditioning and then dump all the yeast out in the first pour :mad:

http://hopville.com/recipe/303277/weizen-weissbier-recipes/bavarian-wheat

There's no point in engaging in the decoction mash debate (I agree that they should be done for a weizen beer) if the OP isn't going to engage in temperature control during fermentation. If you don't have good temperatures you're going to get undesirable yeast flavors and have an undesirable beer.

I have done wheats with both wlp 380 and 410 without temperature control (75 ambient temp during the day 68 at night) and they have come out great. I would try the 380 as suggested by bucfanmike, I can't stand banana or bubblegum in my hefes and 380 doesn't give either (same with 410 but is a Belgian strain)

I did my first Hefe about 5 weeks ago, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I used hate this style of beer, but now I love it and have learned to appreciate it.

It seems to me(as other have said) it's all about yeast and temp control. I harvested SN's Kellerweis yeast for mine. I stepped it up a few times to get enough yeast going, and then let it ferment at 68*, but it's just not estery enough. I think next time I will try to keep it in the 70-72 range. I had a simple grain bill 60% Wheat,40% Vienna and did a single infusion mash at 158*. It has nice body and the aroma is spot one, but the flavor isn't estery enough.

I can make a hefe but within reason it doesn't tastes like a hefe.

Is there something unique to hefe's that make them particularly difficult to make? I noticed that American breweries don't seem to make good hefe's and the best ones tend to be from Germany.

Any thoughts?

My Bavarian Hefe tastes as good if not better than many from Germany, and Germans have told me that. I lived there for 5 years and travel there all the time and I understand your frustration after drinking American craft brewery attempts at a true Bavarian Hefe. The best domestic I have tasted is from Sierra Nevada, but my brew is much better.

Like folks mention before, temp is critical for a good Hefe along with the right yeast.

Buy German Wheat Malt, Pils Malt, Hops, and Wyeast 3068 (From Germany's oldest brewery, Weihenstephan), follow my recipe and you will be pleasantly surprised.

It's not called Bavaraian Hefeweizen for nothing. :mug:

Give it a try.

There's no point in engaging in the decoction mash debate (I agree that they should be done for a weizen beer) if the OP isn't going to engage in temperature control during fermentation. If you don't have good temperatures you're going to get undesirable yeast flavors and have an undesirable beer.

Agreed on the decoction btw -- I actually like doing a decoction, keeps me occupied during the mash.

MacGruber said:
Hefe yeast is VERY temperamental. Keep it in the low 60s to get a good hefe flavor.anything higher and it starts to give weird off flavors. If your temps fluctuate between 75 and 80 you get a strange fuselage alcohol taste that never goes away.

This made me laugh too and in my hefe induced state I was in agreement...yeah, it does taste like fuselage alcohol. Now that my hefe induced state has dissipated, I'm wondering what you meant. I never had fuselage alcohol and never heard of it. Sounds like something used in jet fuel, or something made in a jail cell!

LOL, Homebrew brewed in a Fuselage. I guess the cast of LOST would call it that. :D

fuselage.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance but what is decoction?
I brewed a Hef a few months ago and I didn't care for it. It had a "sour" aftertaste. I'm sure I screwed up somewhere in fermenting temps.
Now that I have a freezer I can control temps better.
I'm gonna try again

Good quality white wheat and pils malt. Do the decoction mash and ferment with 3068 at 62 for 4 days, 65 for 3 days and 68 for 3 days then keg/bottle. You won't be disappointed

Latest posts

Back