What's this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojox

Reaction score
These are first year Zeus. What are these things? Thanks!

IMG_7511.jpg

Your "she" is a "he". Sometimes when female plants get stressed they will create both female and male parts. My Zeus has done that once before also.
It could be too much or too little of something (sun, water, nutrient). It won't kill you, but it is a common suggestion to eliminate those male pods so they don't pollinate the female cones (apparently it can change the flavor of the cones if they get pollinated).

Thanks! From what I understand since I have cones the plant is female, but certain stresses push the plant to make male parts.... and typically in this situation the pollen is sterile and the plant wont go to seed right? Since I already have cones, I should be fine, right? I have many other plants and I have to think about management of a field so a male plant would be an issue. Thanks for the help.

Everything except the infertile part is true, best as I know.
I don't think I ever read a conclusive answer about the fertility thing.
In any case, I'd remove them so the plant doesn't waste energy developing them...

Cheers!

Back