What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Belgium Snapshot

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Weird, I've had a few of those and it struck me as a rather plain, even boring-ish beer but quite inoffensive. *shrug*

Here's a painful confession, I tried a Rodenbach for the first time recently and just hated it... struck me as very flat/flabby tasting, a little over sweet, and just weird and unappealing overall. Hoping I got a bad bottle, because I'm trying to get into sours and you hear so much praise for that one. I have hope because I had a similar experience the first time I tried Saison Dupont, it was the very last pour from a keg that had been sitting around a long time and I think something had gone wrong with it, but since then I've come to love the beer.

Rogues Voodoo Maple Bacon Donut.
To me, that beer was horrid. I powered my way thru about 1/4 of the bottle then poured it out.
I've had lots of meh beers, but that one was nasty.

Rogues Voodoo Maple Bacon Donut.

To me, that beer was horrid. I powered my way thru about 1/4 of the bottle then poured it out.

I've had lots of meh beers, but that one was nasty.

I take it you didn't try the peanut butter chocolate banana one then?
It was worse

"If you've made something that doesn't offend anybody, you've made Budweiser"
-Augie Carton-

Of recent memory I thought Shipyard Mint Chocolate Stout was a mess. Way too spearminty in a toothpaste kind of way, an unpleasant hot alcohol bite, and excessive anise. Didn't mix well together.
Bottle was nice though

Saranac GPA (Ginger Pale Ale). Sounds like a good idea, but was absolutely horrific.

Magic Hat's G-Thing ginger ale was pretty good.

I don't like Saranac, but it's possible I got a bad 12-pack. Every bottle had this horrid syrupy sweetness (PA, IPA, Bock, Stout IIRC).

Magic Hat's G-Thing ginger ale was pretty good.

I don't like Saranac, but it's possible I got a bad 12-pack. Every bottle had this horrid syrupy sweetness (PA, IPA, Bock, Stout IIRC).

I've had the same experience with every Saranac I've tried, I don't think it's an issue of a few bad bottles...

Stone's IPA to go. Actually poured out the other 5 bottles. Nasty stuff.

I know Shock Top isn't a "craft brew" but wow, honey bourbon cask wheat is terrible! Absolutely one of the worst beers I've had. Tastes like mushy graham crackers liquified.

SA maple porter it was like porter flavored syrup. I did end up reduceing it into a ham glaze
And that was
decect.

My roommate in college picked up a 12 pack sampler of beers by Saranac brewery because they were on sale - between 3 of us, I think we took over a month to choke those down...

My first attempt at homebrew.

Cidery medicinal and a wee bit tangy, why use 3lbs of blackberries on a 2 gallon batch of obviously not stout.

Never going back to that brewery again.

Habanero Sculpin from ballast point and Abita purple haze are at the top of my never get again list.

It's a toss up between NB Snapshot & SN Nooner

I don't know what's wrong with New Belgium. They make some good beers (Fat Tire, Ranger, 1554), some great beers (La Folie), but every damned German styled beer they make is utter and complete crap. Snapshot is tasteless swill (I know, technically American wheat, but still), Summer Helles is just watery and overly bitter (31 IBU!!!), and Blue Paddle Pilsner is just a mess (look at the grain bill). Seriously, go try one of those two lagers and tell me they are anywhere near style. Even if you're not a style snob, they're not good!

I'm not a Sam Adams fan to begin with, but their Cinder Bock was absolutely terrible.

How many beers does Sam Adams make again? Something like 60? They can't all be winners, but Jesus some quality control or rather recipe control man!

As for my answer: Shiner Birthday Beer (Chocolate Stout). Tasted like Swiss Miss mixed with a blonde ale.

There's a nano brewery in Index, WA that I stopped at to try out there beers. I'm a big fan of just trying any brewery so I hoped it would be good. First they were serving out of a very rusty old keezer which normally wouldn't bother me except when I tried the two beers on tap. They both had a weird musty smell to them. The beer itself was incredibly bland and overly hoppy for both the red ale and brown ale. It was like drinking hop tea out of a dirty glass. So if you ever go by Index on Highway 2 and see that Mt. Index Distillery and Brewery is open, don't waste your money.

I know Shock Top isn't a "craft brew" but wow, honey bourbon cask wheat is terrible! Absolutely one of the worst beers I've had. Tastes like mushy graham crackers liquified.

Same here, I thought "how bad could it be"?

Well, I now have a new definition of bad...

This may have been mentioned already but 21st Amendment's:

Hell or High Watermelon

Just couldn't finish it and the next morning saw the glass half full still sitting on the kitchen counter. Gave me the shivers just looking at it.

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat used to be good, but the last time I ever had any, which was well over a year ago, the cherry flavor reminded me more of cough syrup than it did a good cherry wheat beer. Haven't bought anything from the Boston Beer Company's line of brews since then.

I may get a hate on for this.

However, I remember receiving a variety 6 pack of Belgian Ales for a Christmas present one year. Link. Oh god.... OH GOD.....

Every last one went down the sink.

Every. Single. One.

Undrinkable.

It may have been the way they were stored at the LCBO or at the person's house.
(For the record, I have drank many, brewed many, and even saved many Belgian ales.)

For me it's Magic Hat #9. Although it may not technically be the worst I've ever had, I do have to applaud some brews for their attempt at creativity despite poor execution (looking at you Voodoo Donut). But #9 to me is just horrible. And for some reason I inevitably grab some every year as if I expect to get better.

Magic Hat #9

My buddy forgot that I don't like fruit nor spices in my beer, and handed me one, thinking I would like it.

I disappointed him greatly.

I can't remember who made it, but it was called Gwakamolly or something. it was this nasty green color, real thick with no head retention, kinda slimy, and tasted about as good as avocado (which I don't like at all).

I would say Widmer Bros. Upheaval IPA. I'm kind of hit or miss when it comes to IPAs anyway, but I really disliked this one.

A beer has to be pretty darn awful for me to not finish drinking it. The only time I have cried uncle in recent memory was with a Gonzo Imperial Porter. To me, beer should not taste like booze, much less diesel fuel like this one did. I didn't recognize any of the beers on the list and the list provided no descriptions or even style designations for the various beers, so I asked the waitress for something "malty and dark", and this is what she brought me.

Some other duds up here in Canada that I've had recently: Creemore Premium Lager, Kawartha Lakes Raspberry Wheat, and Hop City Brewing Lawn Chair Weisse. I at least finished all of those, though.

Back