What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, this thread has taken a crazy turn, Midas Touch is good, Arrogant Bastard is good, and white IPAs are not the same as regular IPAs.

Agree on the cranberry lambic, that was awful. Worst I had recently was a Rauchbier at Bastone, I normally love their beers but this tasted like it was strained through a campfire and brewed with saltwater. I've had subtler smoky beers that I liked, but this was unbalanced.

Ondori said:
Bell's Cherry Stout. Worst beer I have ever put in my mouth. Ended up giving the rest of the 5 to someone desperate for a drink.

You're kidding? Right?

Ondori said:
:O Midas Touch is probably my favority DFH brew. I don't see how this can be!? lol To each his own :)

To be fair to the beer, it's been a while since I tried it. My tastes could've changed now. I've been going back to some of the beer I previously didn't like to see if I've changed. So I'll probably revisit Midas Touch as well.
But I stand behind Sam Adams Triple Bock being the hands down worst beer ever produced. For someone to suggest any other beer as the worst, only means they've never had the Triple Bock.

You're kidding? Right?

Nope, I could not finish the beer, and that was my first Bells beer I ever tried. It turned me away from anything they made for a long time, but then I tried their Two Hearted Ale, and that was great, so I started trying others by them. I could have had a bad batch or maybe the store improperly stored them, which could happen. Recently happened to me with Brooklyn Brewerys Black Choco Stout. I LOVE that beer, and had been drinking it all winter, but I bought a 4 pack that tasted god awful! Won't be buying beer from that place again..

Ondori said:
Nope, I could not finish the beer, and that was my first Bells beer I ever tried. It turned me away from anything they made for a long time, but then I tried their Two Hearted Ale, and that was great, so I started trying others by them. I could have had a bad batch or maybe the store improperly stored them, which could happen. Recently happened to me with Brooklyn Brewerys Black Choco Stout. I LOVE that beer, and had been drinking it all winter, but I bought a 4 pack that tasted god awful! Won't be buying beer from that place again..

That's a shame. I hate getting a bad bottle. The Cherry Stout isn't the absolute best beer or anything, but I think it's pretty good. I like everything I've had from Bells. I just wish they were distributed down here. I have yet to have the Two Hearted. I've heard good things about it.

WesleyS said:
That's a shame. I hate getting a bad bottle. The Cherry Stout isn't the absolute best beer or anything, but I think it's pretty good. I like everything I've had from Bells. I just wish they were distributed down here. I have yet to have the Two Hearted. I've heard good things about it.

I don't know if they still do this but bells used to make special one off batches at certain milestones. Their batch 5000 may actually be the worst beer I've ever had. It was an undrinkable raunchbier. I drank one every year or two and it hasn't improved any by the time I finished the 6 pack 6-8 years later.

Other than that I've never had anything bad from bells including the cherry stout

Mongrel said:
I think the bean counters at Rogue loved it. Don't even care to try their Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale after how godawful the Maple Bacon version was.

Especially at $13 a bottle. I don't mind paying a premium price for a good beer. At the same time, I can get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada for about that price and get 12 bottles to eventually put my own beer in! Heck, a cheapy kit at MoreBeer (my LHBS) is about double that price.

I don't know if they still do this but bells used to make special one off batches at certain milestones. Their batch 5000 may actually be the worst beer I've ever had. It was an undrinkable raunchbier. I drank one every year or two and it hasn't improved any by the time I finished the 6 pack 6-8 years later.

Other than that I've never had anything bad from bells including the cherry stout

That's funny. I loved that beer. It was my second favorite of those special batches after Batch 7000.

I think the bean counters at Rogue loved it. Don't even care to try their Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale after how godawful the Maple Bacon version was.
Haven't had Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, but the Banana & Peanut Butter Ale is only about a thousand orders of magnitude better than the Maple Bacon Ale.

And that brings me full circle: Maple Bacon Ale has easily been the worst.

Haven't had Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, but the Banana & Peanut Butter Ale is only about a thousand orders of magnitude better than the Maple Bacon Ale.

And that brings me full circle: Maple Bacon Ale has easily been the worst.
You have had the Chocolate, it's Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter. I was actually surprised to see that it is scoring a little worse than the Maple Bacon on Beer Advocate.

You have had the Chocolate, it's Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter. I was actually surprised to see that it is scoring a little worse than the Maple Bacon on Beer Advocate.

*blink*

*blink*

Duh. Don't mind me, I'm apparently underbeered for the day... :eek:

Anyway, it's still a gazillion times better than the Maple Bacon.

Toss up for me, the Sam Adams cranberry lambic was a huuuuge crapper, but that said, it was my first lambic, and also, anything Sam Adams is basically the Busch light of the craft world unless you get into their super small batch stuff. The hands down worst ipa I've ever had is smuttynose ipa. Terrible bitter hop with no malt body and a bit of dumpster. Ipas are my favorite style of beer, especially in your face, high ibu types (Oskar blues deviant Dales #1 currently) but if you have a super bitter, earthy hop flavor, you haaaaave to balance it at least a bit with some sweet malt

I've been a little MIA recently.

I'm gonna toss in 2012 Dark Lord as a brew that was pretty disgusting. Had it fully attenuated, I bet it would have been very good, not as good as 2011, but still good. But it was cloyingly, sickeningly sweet.

I don't recall having any other terrible brews in the last 6 months. Hell, even the Sour Ales and Specialty Beers I judged at a recent competition were all better than many things listed here.

My brother hates it, but loves a bunch of other Bell's and his standard IPA homebrew is based on Two-Hearted.

I'm kinda the same. I think it's too sour, in a bad way, to drink. I think it has a good stout base, but the cherry flavor isn't right for me. A balance between it and Sam's Cherry Wheat would be good, IMO.

I agree with the guy 2 pages back about the Anchor Porter that I bought 2 weeks ago. It was so bad I really wish I would have just dumped it. It tasted and smelled sour. In must’ve been acetealdehyde, with maybe some buttery diacetyl. It had the off flavor of Budweiser X 10. Absolutely disgusting. From what I have read and seen, it must have been a bad batch or bottle.
The only beer I have dumped was the Stone brewery 12-12-12. It tasted like somebody took a perfectly good stout and dumped an entire container of holiday baking spices into it. It had cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice, and that was all you could taste. I like that Stone brewery is bold, but this was so unbalanced it was undrinkable. It was especially disappointing because the vertical epic 10-10-10 was marvelous. I wonder if age what have mellowed out the intense spices.

My brother hates it, but loves a bunch of other Bell's and his standard IPA homebrew is based on Two-Hearted.

I'm kinda the same. I think it's too sour, in a bad way, to drink. I think it has a good stout base, but the cherry flavor isn't right for me. A balance between it and Sam's Cherry Wheat would be good, IMO.

I would say that Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is in fact the worst craft brew I've ever tasted. I had one about 7 years ago, tasted like a watered-down Shock-Top with Maraschino/Cherry cough-syrup flavoring, almost like they were trying to flavor a really cheap soda. Between this and the previous other lackluster I have had that were made by them, I have not had another Sam Adam's since.

pugmug said:
I agree with the guy 2 pages back about the Anchor Porter that I bought 2 weeks ago. It was so bad I really wish I would have just dumped it. It tasted and smelled sour. In must’ve been acetealdehyde, with maybe some buttery diacetyl. It had the off flavor of Budweiser X 10. Absolutely disgusting. From what I have read and seen, it must have been a bad batch or bottle.
The only beer I have dumped was the Stone brewery 12-12-12. It tasted like somebody took a perfectly good stout and dumped an entire container of holiday baking spices into it. It had cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice, and that was all you could taste. I like that Stone brewery is bold, but this was so unbalanced it was undrinkable. It was especially disappointing because the vertical epic 10-10-10 was marvelous. I wonder if age what have mellowed out the intense spices.

I liked 12-12-12. It didn't taste bad to me or the other two that I shared it with. We didn't have any trouble finishing it. We actually enjoyed the spices.
But tastes differ.

WesleyS said:
I liked 12-12-12. It didn't taste bad to me or the other two that I shared it with. We didn't have any trouble finishing it. We actually enjoyed the spices.
But tastes differ.

I agree. I totally enjoyed the 12-12-12. I've had it out of the bottle and from a keg and both were fantastic. I just figured it was Stone's take on a Holiday Ale. That said, I'm a Stone fanatic, so I might be a little biased :)

I think that failed expectations are judged more harshly than just plain bad beers. The stone voodoo is a lark, they knew people would buy it to see how bad it really is, the pizza beer, etc.

I think DFH is run by a cool guy, I like his passion, philosophy and am happy he is making money. I just don't care for his beers, in general. I tolerate the 60 min, but as they progress, I can't put my finger on it, but they all kind of strike me as the flavors are too strong, and not married together. Maybe he uses a house yeast for all of them or something. Or the wrong hops. At the price point, I can't justify trying any more of their beers until I really hear and get the sense that they have done something different.

Agree 100% I understand that they are trying to innovate, but it seems like they just try things that sound cool / fun and throw it together and sell it. None of it is balanced and I never want more than one.

Swamp Ape from Florida Beer...hideous concoction not worthy of being called a Beer. How it made it onto store shelves is beyond me.

I agree. I totally enjoyed the 12-12-12. I've had it out of the bottle and from a keg and both were fantastic. I just figured it was Stone's take on a Holiday Ale. That said, I'm a Stone fanatic, so I might be a little biased :)

I loved 12.12.12. I went through 3 liters of it in growler and still have a few bottles tucked away. I'm sure that since it was the December VE release the idea was being a take on a holiday ale.

Nothing can compare to the Trafalgar Cherry Ale (From Ontario). It tasted like overcooked malt extract with a very vegetal-tinged hint of cherry extract.

I've only ever enjoyed one trafalgar ale and it was the porter aged in brandy barrels, absolutely flat but great flavour. Their braggot, Amber, Brown, all terrible. Those guys just don't seem to make good beer.

Well, it seems most people enjoyed the 12-12-12. For some reason the spices in this really got to me. I have had other holiday beers that I did enjoy. I remember thinking that the stout base beer was excellent though. I would try it again if I was offered.

pugmug said:
Well, it seems most people enjoyed the 12-12-12. For some reason the spices in this really got to me. I have had other holiday beers that I did enjoy. I remember thinking that the stout base beer was excellent though. I would try it again if I was offered.

Even though I thought it was fantastic, I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it. The spices aren't subtle at all.

O'Fallon Rager Red. Tasted like sucking on a band aid. Poured 5 out. And they are twist off so I probably won't even be able to reuse the bottles.

But I stand behind Sam Adams Triple Bock being the hands down worst beer ever produced. For someone to suggest any other beer as the worst, only means they've never had the Triple Bock.

You didn't enjoy the viscous texture and lovely molasses and soy sauce flavors either? I think we are in agreement with this being one of the worst beers ever. I'd take a Hamms (...from the sky blue waters) over the triple any day.

ReefKeeper said:
You didn't enjoy the viscous texture and lovely molasses and soy sauce flavors either? I think we are in agreement with this being one of the worst beers ever. I'd take a Hamms (...from the sky blue waters) over the triple any day.

Oh, it's so bad. I've frequently described the flavor as a soy sauce coated piece of cardboard used as a dog bed. And it coats your tongue like oil and there's no easy way to get the flavor out of your mouth. The worst part is I bought three bottles of it because I was so excited to have seen it. That was about six years ago. Once the first drop hit my tongue the excitement turned to horror, then denial. After the second taste it turned to acceptance and then regret. ;)

Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA. Most of the beers that I don't care for are now becoming IPA's. their is just so many out now it's hard to differentiate the difference between them.

Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA. Most of the beers that I don't care for are now becoming IPA's. their is just so many out now it's hard to differentiate the difference between them.

There really isn't anything worse than a bad IPA, sadly they are ubiquitous. If I've had the fc IPA it was forgettable, I do enjoy their chocolate and double chocolate stouts though.

Agree 100% I understand that they are trying to innovate, but it seems like they just try things that sound cool / fun and throw it together and sell it. None of it is balanced and I never want more than one.

Every time I've purchased DFH I've been so happy and drank all of them way too fast. Yum.

Add the Boatswain Twin Screw Double IPA to the list of the worst commercial beers. I think the name "Twin Screw" comes from the fact that you're screwed when you buy it, and screwed again when you try to drink it.

Almost zero hop aroma, medicinal and metallic flavors, cloying finish. On the other hand, it looks rather nice in the glass. You can find this swill at Trader Joes for $2 / 22 oz. The price should indicate a problem with the beer, but they also had Ayinger Weizenbock for $3 something a 16oz bottle and that beer is simply magnificent.

Oh, it's so bad. I've frequently described the flavor as a soy sauce coated piece of cardboard used as a dog bed. And it coats your tongue like oil and there's no easy way to get the flavor out of your mouth. The worst part is I bought three bottles of it because I was so excited to have seen it. That was about six years ago. Once the first drop hit my tongue the excitement turned to horror, then denial. After the second taste it turned to acceptance and then regret. ;)

Brings back nightmares for me. Worst stuff I have ever drank. That stuff could be used for paint remover.

Anything by 21st Amendment brewing, ESPECIALLY their watermelon ale. I would bet you couldn't tell the difference between it and watered down bud light in a side by side.

Latest posts

Back