What's the weirdest ingredient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad the Candida genus doesn't create alcohol... but there are certain tastier areas it cultivates.:p

Been toying with the idea of just buying enough cereal (cheerios, muselix or whatever...), filling up the mash tun, creating a wort. Maybe toss in some pacman yeast? Maybe some leftover fuggles?

I saw this thread and started thinking back through all of my ingredients, then I saw the first post: Chicken! Then on to onions and pizza, I haven't even come close to any of those, you guys win.

a friend helped me on brewday once, and we decided the specialty grains kinda smelled like grapenuts cereal. Its been in the back of my head ever since, but hasn't come to fruition yet.

Wow, this got disgusting fast.

I've been very close to making a bacon brew. I think I'll have to take the plunge

You could probably make it with Bac-Os Bits which I believe is just flavored soy. I don't think that would get too funky in the fermenter.

I mean, what doesn't taste better with a little bacon flavor. I'm thinking a smokey Bac-Os porter would be perfect!

You could probably make it with Bac-Os Bits which I believe is just flavored soy. I don't think that would get too funky in the fermenter.

I mean, what doesn't taste better with a little bacon flavor. I'm thinking a smokey Bac-Os porter would be perfect!

A little Briess Cherrywood smoked malt would do the trick.

The guys over @ Ska just primed 2 firkins with melted down marshmellow peeps and chocolate bunnies for easter. They just tapped it yesterday so I am hoping I can get a taste before its gone today.

a friend of mine makes bacon bourbon. he renders the fat off a lb of bacon and pours it in a fifth of bourbon and lets it sit at room temp for about a week. then he puts it in the fridge to congeal the bacon fat and strains it off.

i think a bacon porter or stout might be good.

I dont know if its ever been used but i always wanted to add Vegemite to a brew..its a Tart\sour-ish spread for toast or crackers (my moms an Aussie and i grew up with it)

The ingredients are Yeast extract, Malt Extract, vegitable extract, with a few other preservitives and salts

I dont know if its ever been used but i always wanted to add Vegemite to a brew..its a Tart\sour-ish spread for toast or crackers (my moms an Aussie and i grew up with it)

The ingredients are Yeast extract, Malt Extract, vegitable extract, with a few other preservitives and salts
it should make a doable yeast nutrient. i've considered it myself. never tasted it though.

Too expensive or too awful?

For me, awful. I used it in a light wheat braggot and ended up with what can only be described as a homebrewed wine cooler. It was pretty darn bad. None of my friends would touch it. It was bland, a nasty reddish color, and tastes like fermented kool-aid.

For that particular batch I used hibiscus on only half the batch at bottling, and the non-hibiscus braggot side turned out pretty well.

a friend of mine makes bacon bourbon. he renders the fat off a lb of bacon and pours it in a fifth of bourbon and lets it sit at room temp for about a week. then he puts it in the fridge to congeal the bacon fat and strains it off.

i think a bacon porter or stout might be good.

the latest issue of BYO's cover is about brewing with breakfast. How-to for everything from Coffee, Bacon to fruity pebbles. it is a good read, at first the bacon sounds horrible to me, but now i might give it a try.

the latest issue of BYO's cover is about brewing with breakfast. How-to for everything from Coffee, Bacon to fruity pebbles. it is a good read, at first the bacon sounds horrible to me, but now i might give it a try.

This must be James Spencer's article because he just had a Basic Brewing podcast on this.

If you've ever smelled Briess' cherrywood smoked malt, you can probably get all the bacon you want from that.

I made a batch using Goldenberries. Was not too bad, definitely had a different taste.

Don't want to spend too much time thinking of stranger ingredients than vaginal yeast. Seems kinda wrong, but i guess if you culture it out, then it's no different from any other yeasts...

I made an imperial pilsner where I mashed with a variety of canned swill as the hot liquor. So I used cheap add beer to make expensive beer. It turned out good too. I have thread somewhere on this site. It's a entertaining read.

Latest posts

Back