whats the right way to steep grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantombrews

Reaction score
I have steeped grains two ways one way was to heat 2.5 gal to 168°F mix grain in pot stirring alot so grains dont burnsecond i heat another pot with 1.5 gal to same temp i then "steep" for 30 to 45 min then i put cheese cloth over a five gal bucket. And pour pot with grains in bucket so cloths catches grains then i rinse with other pot and boil the four gals of. Wort adding hops the second way is to put grains in steeping bags and steep for same time then heat clean water and rinse and use the wayer from rinsing as wort please advise best way to mashgrains

Put grains in a bag, steep in < 2.5 gallons (for 5 gallon batch) under 170° for 30 min. Pull bag and let drain. Add water to your pot and begin boiling. Done.

My friend did it that way with a 4 gal pot and 12lbs of grain and couldnt. Keep enough water in pot to not burn bag

Steeping is really easy.

Just heat 2 gallons of water to 160-165*F. Turn off the heat. Put in the grain bag. Cover it and let sit 30 min. After you drain it, sparge the bag by pouring some 165*F or so water over it.

For first batch i did it with grains in pot no bag then poured in to another pot with cheee cloth over top top to catch grains then rran hot water over it and used as my wort
My first brew was three floyds gumball head clone second was a lagunas lil sumpin sumpin clonewas this way of mashing good or will my beer not turn out
Gumball head clone is in secondary. And lagunas is in primary. Please advise

For first batch i did it with grains in pot no bag then poured in to another pot with cheee cloth over top top to catch grains then rran hot water over it and used as my wort
My first brew was three floyds gumball head clone second was a lagunas lil sumpin sumpin clonewas this way of mashing good or will my beer not turn out
Gumball head clone is in secondary. And lagunas is in primary. Please advise

If I am understanding you correctly, both should yield the same results, and both should turn out fine. Between those two methods it is really more a question of which one is easier/preferable to you, as the end product will be the same.

How much grain were you "steeping"? Was it just a couple lbs, or was it 10+ lbs? Did you add extract after steeping? If you used 100% grain and no extract, you were "mashing" not steeping, and if that is the case your temperature should be lower, around 152* typically, and if you mashed all the grain at 160-165* you will likely end up with a lot of non-fermentable sugars, resulting in a beer that is sweeter than your target.

I have done it two ways, first was to heat the water to temp and place the grains in a bag and soak for 15-20 minutes. The other was to put the grains in a bag and place in the water as soon as I turned on the heat and then pull the bag once the water got to 170 then continue on to boil. The beer turned out good both ways, so it seems that as long as there is grains and warm water it will most likely work.

If I am understanding you correctly, both should yield the same results, and both should turn out fine. Between those two methods it is really more a question of which one is easier/preferable to you, as the end product will be the same.

How much grain were you "steeping"? Was it just a couple lbs, or was it 10+ lbs? Did you add extract after steeping? If you used 100% grain and no extract, you were "mashing" not steeping, and if that is the case your temperature should be lower, around 152* typically, and if you mashed all the grain at 160-165* you will likely end up with a lot of non-fermentable sugars, resulting in a beer that is sweeter than your target.

All grain and i brought the heat to 168 because the brew shop guy said to get it ten to twelve degrees hotter then recipe called for . I was use 13 lbs of grain

Steeping is really easy.

Just heat 2 qts of water to 160-165*F. Turn off the heat. Put in the grain bag. Cover it and let sit 30 min. After you drain it, sparge the bag by pouring some 165*F or so water over it.

? 2 qts, don't you mean 2 gallons ?

Cheers :mug:

I would put the the grains in a muslin bag and steep them in it, string every so often.

IMO, You don't want to pour your hot wort, as this will cause aireation, not really what you want to be doing to hot wort.

Cheers :mug:

Phantom: I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean to criticize, but offer a constructive way to learn about the mashing process. I think you have some more research to do. Get John Palmer's ' How to Brew' book and study it. There's a real good chapter on the mashing process that explains what's going on much better than we can do in a reply to a forum. It looks like you are attempting a BIAB(Brew in a Bag) mashing process. There's a whole BIAB section of this forum with a particularly good sticky thread on the BIAB process. The good thing is, you made beer. Hope it turns out as good as you're hoping. Understanding the process will help you make better beer. Good luck!

All grain and i brought the heat to 168 because the brew shop guy said to get it ten to twelve degrees hotter then recipe called for . I was use 13 lbs of grain

Okay, this is making a lot more sense now. You were mashing, and that was your strike water temp. As somone else mentioned, there is a great BIAB (Brew In A Bag) Sticky at the top of the All Grain forum page. It has photos and step by step explanations.

In a nutshell, you want to:

Heat strike water to approx. 10* above mash temp, to account for the heat the grain will absorb. (you will have to figure out the exact amount to overshoot based on your specific setup, things like kettle material/size can cause this to be different for people).

After you add the grain and stir it altogether, you want to hold it as close as possible to your target mash temp. A mid range is usually 152*, but they can vary depending on beer style from about 148* (which will yield a drier beer with more ABV) to 158* (Which will yield a sweeter beer with less ABV). Hold it within 1* of this temp for 60 minutes. This typically requires wrapping your kettle in some blankets/sleeping bags unless you have a nice recirculation system in place.

BIAB will have the grain inside a bag in the kettle, but as you noted with your friend, with large amounts of grain sometimes the limits of the bag and kettle will be pushed. I prefer to do full volume mashing, with no sparging and no adding water after the mash. I start with 7.5g of water in my 10g kettle, and heat it to about 8* above my target mash temp before adding grain, stirring, covering, and waiting 60 minutes. Most of the time I use 2 5g paint bags from lowes, and split the grain between them, as I don't like it when the grain gets packed too tightly in the bag, and with 2 bags it remains pretty loose in the water.

After your 60 minutes is up, you want to take off the blankets, check your temp, and crank the heat on to try and raise the temperature to 170* over a 10 minute period. When it hits 170*, pull the bag/bags out of the kettle (I squeeze my bags to get more liquid for my boil) and let the burner keep going until it boils, at that point follow your hop schedule.

If this is all super confusing, I recommend looking through some of the BIAB threads, many of which have photos. I will try and remember to check back and post a link when I am at home.

Here is one of my first BIA batches. I now use a second bag in my kettle for my mash. Unfortunately...I don't have any photos of the mash itself, as I was preoccupied with getting it in and covered, but you can see my bag before in the water, and then after when I pull it out full of grain. There are bottling photos too...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/photos-smash-brew-day-bottling-day-307559/

Back