whats the difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttsjeff2

Reaction score
I have been brewing extract kits from ahbs and have made some great beer. What is the difference and how much more work is all grain. Will I see a noticable difference. The beer I have now is pretty .... good.

I'll tell you that I made the jump to Deathbrewer's stovetop PM method and have noticed a HUGE difference. To be honest my extract brews weren't all that great save for one IPA. I haven't had a bad PM brew yet (3 batches).

The best part of what he does (brew in a bag-BIAB) is that you probably already have all the equipment you need to do it. It will most likely take a little more time waiting for the mash, but in that time you could be cleaning, preparing carboys, and of course, having a beer!

As I read somewhere, its like drinking OJ from concentrate and then going to fresh squeezed. Some would disagree I'm sure, but I've loved the switch and will probably try BIAB all-grain as soon as I can afford a larger kettle.

you get alot more control of your beer.

now it is more expensive at first, you have to buy the equipment. with anything though doing it the right way isn't always the cheapest or the easiest. if you really enjoy brewing, you won't look back.

now it is more expensive at first, you have to buy the equipment. with anything though doing it the right way isn't always the cheapest or the easiest. if you really enjoy brewing, you won't look back.

This isn't quite true. It will depend a bit on what you already have on hand and how you go about the all grain process. It cost me less than $30 to start because I already had a 20 qt kettle that I had used for canning vegetables and making extract beer. To get started with all grain I bought a Corona style grain grinder and a package of paint strainer bags. This small amount of extra equipment has let me brew 3 gallon batches of all grain to learn the process and explore what advantages it would give me. This is known as the "Brew in a Bag" system and it works quite well. It also let me work indoors during the extreme weather of northern Minnesota winters.

My next step up was a turkey fryer kit so I could use this with a 5 gallon batch outdoors when the weather moderated. Again, this was a small step up in cost as I bought it on close-out for about $60 and will allow me to do full volume boils on a 5 gallon batch.

I am just a little confused as the results I have with the extract is amazing. Drinking a dogfish 90 tonight that is off the hook. I have made several batches that come out terrific. So , how much better is it vs the time etc. Is it the ahbs kits that r so good?

Back