What's the best Pumpkin recipe on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All - I want to make a pumpkin brew this weekend, but there are a million pumpkin recipes. I'm curious what the consensus best recipe is. And yes, I know I should have probably been brewing this 30 - 60 days ago...what can I say....I'm a little behind. I've got an Oktoberfest to hold me over. So, any suggestions? Looking for the best AG recipes. Thanks!

Check out the current issue of Zymurgy. There's an article on the best in the author's opinion. I've never brewed it but it sounds great...

Austin Homebrew has a limited edition Pumpkin Pie Cream Ale kit they're selling right now that looks amazing. Just got mine in the mail a couple days ago. Better hurry, though, they only have a few left.

Demus said:
Check out the current issue of Zymurgy. There's an article on the best in the author's opinion. I've never brewed it but it sounds great...

I have this one with an 1056 finishing up fermenting. Samples taste and smell awesome. I'm really looking forward to it from around Halloween to Thanksgiving.

solavirtus said:
I have this one with an 1056 finishing up fermenting. Samples taste and smell awesome. I'm really looking forward to it from around Halloween to Thanksgiving.

How'd your mash & sparge go with the pumpkin? Any issues? Any lessons learned?

Demus said:
How'd your mash & sparge go with the pumpkin? Any issues? Any lessons learned?

Mashing the pumpkin worked really well, and I'm glad I used rice hulls. No sparging issues at all on my 10 gal cooler and false bottom. I also conditioned the malt before milling to keep more husks intact and help lauter. Other than that, I followed the directions in the article pretty close. I heated the pumpkin up in the strike water. It thinned out the pumpkin and I hit temps just fine. I also bought fresh pumpkin pie spice. I think that makes a difference compared the year-old stuff you might have in the pantry. Adding it at knockout seems to have done the trick.

Back