What's good to use outside of Fall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkenirishman

Reaction score
Somewhat new to the cidermaking side of the house with only 3 batches under my belt.

Wondering what folks use to make good sparkling cider outside of the fall season when the cideries are all pressing?

I found one regional cider (Zieglers) that is sold year round and that brought me good results, but the supermarket that was selling it switched brands and the new brand has K-Sulfate in it...

So I've been searching and searching the local groceries and the only thing I found is Whole Foods charging $8 / gallon for a local cider. I was getting the Zieglers for $5.

So looking for help here....Do I suck it up and buy the Whole Foods brand, are there other Northeast regional or National brands I should be looking for?

Help!

May not be as complex or satisfying if let go to dry (it might be, never personally tried it), but I have been using Sams club 100% AJ.

My cider recipe if you care to read: I ferment with notty for 3-4 weeks and add homemade caramel and AJ concentrate. Pasteurize when carbed. It pleases most, especially those who don't much care for beer.

You might be able to make your cider more interesting by adding a little acid blend, and or a bit of tannin. You may also consider grating a tart apple like a Granny Smith into your fermenter for a little diversity. I use whichever 100% apple juice is on sale that week at Wally World: Great Value, Musselman's, Tree top, etc. The FAJC I buy 90% of the time is Great Value. The other frozen juice concentrates I purchase vary on whichever flavored cider I am making at the time, and what is available the day I go shopping.

I have been buying Musslemans All Natural Cider from Walmart for the last few months. Shipping is cheap and until the last box I ordered they have alway had it in stock. Only costs $4 per gallon and it makes excellent cider.

Any preservative free apple juice will give you a passable cider. You might try using some of the various fruit juice blends, even from frozen concentrate. There are quite a few blends available in frozen concentrate, just check the labels for preservatives.

Also, you can find some unusual juices in the organic oriented stores, I found bilberry at one store & currently have a 3 gallon batch fermenting. Then there are the "Just Juice" selections from Knudsen:
http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/just-juice
They're a bit pricey, but they're good products. FYI: the black currant & tart cherry juices will need to be diluted to make a good wine/cider.

You can also use various grape juices to make a low ABV wine or sparkling cider. Both Concord & Niagra (purple & white respectively) make pretty tasty sparkling ciders. You can also add fruit to your apple juice to make various fruit flavored ciders. Lots of combinations to be had with real fruits, juices & concentrates. Check the recipe section if you're still wondering what to make or how much of something to use:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Graff is a great alternative to plain apple cider. The recipe is very forgiving & extremely adaptable, it's just about "goof-proof." I've been playing with the recipe for a few years & you can do almost anything with it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=117117

Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

My local orchard has cider year round. They'll start pressing again I think in June when the first crop of apples is ready. Summer ciders ferment quicker and tend to be sweeter than the late fall juices.

I have also used the Apple & Eve stuff sold at Walmart - it makes a meh cider but it works.

Back