Whats a dark cloudy hoppy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregbankley

Reaction score
I once had this beer that was SO good. It was really cloud but also dark. Not black maybe not even brown, maybe even a little lighter but still dark. Almost purple but it wasn't purple.. It was so good though, it was almost like an IPA but not so bitter. It just tasted so smooth. Anyone know a beer like this, a name or a recipe?

But he said not black, maybe not even brown. I'm thinking some sort of hoppy red/amber or brown ale.

Where did you drink this? Would help to narrow down a region and eliminate some possibilities.

Did it look something like this?
(Mac & Jack's African Amber)
tumblr_lom9gtOICH1qkds67o1_500.png

Definitely smooth, definitely cloudy.

For all we know he could be talking about NB Snow Day. That fits his description nearly perfectly. Literally we can guess at this to infinity. What was a dark creamy beer I had???

I think the real answer is a question of genetically splicing rhinoceros DNA with elephant DNA...

Hmm that one looks real good. BUT it is a little darker! Not black but maybe almost purple looking? I had the beer in New York city at some random pub they had it on draft. Dark, cloudy, not too much alcohol (i don't think) , and felt so mellow and deep.

Maybe a Black IPA? Basically just an IPA with dark grains added for color. The result is a blackish beer that tastes like an IPA with a tad bit of smokeyness in the aftertaste.

Black IPAs and Black Lagers are pretty trendy among commercial craft breweries these days.

it wasn't too smokey.. I had a black ipa once and I didnt like that. It wasn't so bitter, more smooth but dark and cloudy, mellow deep taste. Really tough to describe sorry haha

Back