What zone does hops grow best in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art2019

Reaction score
I live in Snowflake, Az and interested in preordering rhizomes but unsure if hops, or specific species of hops, would grow here. It's very windy & dry during spring/summer (but can water, of course). My elevation is about 5,600 ft. - zone 7

Can someone recommend something?

I advise you to order hops Neomexicanus (Amalia, Willow Creek, Neo1, Multihead), you live in their original conditions, they will be perfect at home

I grew MT Hood hops in San Francisco Bay Area in 30 gallon tote bins.They grew like weeds. The first year they produced quite well.

Hops like sun, you got that.

I think scale matters. This can be to your advantage.

You growing a handful bines as a hobby is different than growing a hundred acres of bines and needing to turn a profit. You can do things that are not practical as a larger proposition. You can add things to soil and use fertilizers not cost effective to the farmer.

Really just comes down to your choice of variety.

I suggest you choose hop varieties you like to use for late additions. The flower AA value is less critical. If you get it wrong the beer is more aroma or less aroma. If you are off in AA value for boil hops, that could significantly change your beer. If you are not afraid to gamble on a wide range of IBU - OG ratio, then you can use your home grown any where in the boil.

This next part is just my speculation. Go with hop varieties that modern varieties. Like ones in the last 20-30 years. They are bred and developed (in part) to be hearty and strong plants. MT Hood s a good example. Maybe also get American varieties, also bred for your part if the world. This not an absolute, but it cannot hurt to use the strategy. And it is not like you do not have a wide range of American hops to choose from.

You have the opportunity to grow basically all Americans varieties as you will need to control water and nutrients troughout the growing season anyway. Since you have an abundance of sunshine water will be a constant chore. You need a well drained soil mixture consisting of sandy soil, peat moss and cow manure. I suggest using large vessels such as half of a wine barrel or such for each rhizome. You might want to contact your local extension service for more info. They should be able to advise you if and where in ground planting is suitable for hops. Good luck moving forward, brew with what you grow.

Back