What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba_drums

Reaction score
The brewing co-op that I am a member of is doing a wort giveaway next weekend and I get to partake. They are giving away the boiled and cooled wort and it's up to us to finish it. I don't know what direction I want to go with this so I'm open to suggestions. My initial thought was to go away from what they are doing with the witbier yeast and use a clean ale yeast and a bright dry hop (citra), but I'm not sure. Their finished product will be a hoppy witbier.

Here is the recipe (scaled for 7.5bbl)
OG: 11P (1.044 SG)
FG: 2P
ABV: 4.8%
IBU: 25

Yeast: BSI Celis (Belgian witbier)
Hops: Motueka/Mosaic
Malt: Maltwerks Pilsner (detroit lakes, MN!), malted red wheat, unmalted white wheat, flaked oats

Malt bill for 7.5bbls:
Pils 56% (245lbs)
Unmalted wheat 25% (100lbs)
Malted wheat 12.5% (55lbs)
Flaked Oats 6% (25lbs)
(plus some rice hulls for lauter aid)

Mash schedule:
Protein rest @ 125F for 20 minutes
Sacch rest @ 146F for 45 minutes
Mashout @ 165F

Hopping schedule:
15 IBU Motueka, 10 IBU Mosaic @ 0 minutes left in boil/start of whirlpool.
Dry hop post fermentation with 5.5# each Motueka and Mosaic.

Fermentation:
Pitch yeast in FV at 64F, set temp control for 74, allow to rise to set temp.

Looking forward to your suggestions

I'd throw in some Safeale 05 or Fermetus Safeale wheat yeast, and pay attention to sterilization of your gear, that is all.

Often less is better if you have a good base.

It won't be a "Witbier" by style with those hops, but would make a great "alternative Witbier." Maybe even add a little dry hop in a similar spirit.

@snowtiger1987's suggestion to make a Saison from it is excellent too.

If you're using liquid yeast, you have enough time to make a starter.
If using dry yeast and making a Saison, Belle Saison comes to mind. She likes it hot, so 'tis the right season.

Back