What Would You Do... with old beer kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
Greeting Brewers,

So I inherited a couple of Pre-hopped Beer Kits from my brother that he had laying around his basement. He has gotten into wine making more in the last few years and the kits he gave me are styles that he is not interested in making.

1st Kit:
BeerMakers Premium Australian Bitter Ale XXX
1.7kg (Makes 22 litres of beer)
Date Stamped on bottom, Best before 7Jun01
Missing Yeast Packet, Can is in good condition, no rust or visual signs of can penetration but the ends of the can are bulged out.

2nd Kit:
Coopers Australian Bitter
1.7 kg (makes 23 Litres of beer)
Date Stamped on bottom, Best Before 30. 05. 05
Missing Yeast Packet, Can is in good condition, no rust or viual signs of can penetration but the can does have a few dents in the side of it.

These kits have been stored at room temperature (55-65ºF?) in the basement with very little if any contact with moisture or heat(sunlight) and no wild flucuations in temperature that I know of.

So What Would You Do?
How would you make these beers suitable for consumption?

Looking for ideas and input since I never used pre-hopped beer kits before.
I simply leapt into extract with grains method when I started this wonderful hobby, a.k.a. obsession. :)

Thanks for all your help.
Redbeard5289
Prost!

If the ends of a can are bulging, it probably means it's spoiled. Botulism is not good--google it: paralysis, etc.

Toss them. They're cheap to replace anyway.

I'd still check them out. As long as there is no leakage, the chance of spoilage is practically nil. Plus you will be boiling it for an hour, right?

However, don't expect a great beer. It will be dark, and likely not taste like the recipe. Smell the malt before and if it smells ok, it probably is.

Replace the yeast with new packets, obviously.

The first kit that is bulging, I would throw that away. A few dollars is not worth risking botulinum toxin. The second one would be good for a starter as the Canuck says.

That reminds me, I have a can of Coopers that my wife got me as part of the kit a long time ago. I think I'll brew it this weekend for sh*ts and giggles.

But yeah, I'd toss out the can that's bulging.

I've "brewed" a bulging can before. Even bottled it. It was a waste of time and the most disgusting thing I have ever tried in my life. Toss it.

Chuck the inflated one, use the other one to make yeast starters. Old malt extract is not really your friend.

EDIT: but apparently I'm the 3rd to suggest this. Note to self: read thread before posting.

I second what others are saying. Toss the bulged one and either toss the other (which is what I'd do) or use it for starters.

Two things to add:
1) No known pathogens can survive in beer. Botulism was mentioned but boiling kills botulism anyway, even if it could manage to make it into your wort. If you brewed/fermented it, it would be safe to drink. That being said I would still toss the bulged can. Something is going on inside it that shouldn't be. Spend the money to get decent ingredients.

2) You can use them but neither one will taste very good. The first batch I ever made was from a 5+ year old Mr. Beer kit and it was terrible as the extract was way past it's prime. The flavor was just wrong and there was really no way to correct it. I didn't know better when I did it but after that batch I wouldn't use old extract for anything, even a starter. I just don't want it in my beer.

Hey Brewers,

Thanks for the input and advice. I wasn't sure what to do with the outdated beer kits when my brother brought them over to my house over the holidays. I was pretty stoked until I saw the expiration dates on the bottom of the cans.

Glad there is a great resource like homebrewtalk.com to get answers and tap fellow brewers for their advice and quidance on topics that are out of your realm of knowledge.

I will probably, for sh*its and giggles, brew up the 2nd kit (non-bulging one) and add an ounce at 60 mins and maybe an ounce at flameout and drop in 3-4 lbs of DME since I got some extra ingredients in the freezer (lets say "a clean out the fridge" Pale Ale). I'll only be out $10 bucks if this experiment is a complete flop.

Worse case scenerio if the beer is truly unfit for my consumption is to bottle it and give it back to my brother to drink with my compliments (insert evil laugh here).

Ad for the bulging can; it will get a placed on the shelf with other brewing antiques behind the bar. And hopefully serve as a reminder to other brewers to use your ingredients before they expire. (Its sitting on my computer desk now and as I type its bobbling like a giant bobble head.. ha ha ha)

Will let you know how the 2nd kit turns out once I get a fermenter free to use.

Thanks again
Redbeard5289

Back