What Would You Brew With....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis2010

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a lot of grains on hand that need to be used. Looking for some recipe inspiration.

What beers(s) would you brew with the follow:

Beer Making Supplies (on hand)

Grains:

Weyermann Pale Ale Malt 50 lbs.
Wyermann Carafa Type 2 55 lbs.
Briess Caramel 10L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 20L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 40L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 60L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 120L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 10L 1 lbs.
Briess Caramel 80L 1 lbs.
Carapils 5 lbs.
Northern Brewer Extra Dark Crystal 1 lbs.
Briess Victory 1 lbs.
Weyermann Vienna 1 lbs.

Hops:

Fuggles 5k.
Amarillo 2 oz.
Citra 2 oz.
Simcoe 2 oz.
Cascade 10 oz.
Centennial 10 oz.
Willamette 3.5 oz.
Bravo 2 oz.
Tettnang 2 oz.
Chinook 2 oz.
Falconers Flight 2 oz.
Mosaic 5 oz.

Could do some SMaSHes(centennial, cascade, and mosaic are good choices for this), a nice pale ale/IPA, maybe a schwarzbier or black IPA with the carafa. Maybe a nice english style like esb or dark mild or a bitter with all those fuggles and the dark crystal. 55lbs of carafa is a lot, your friend must really like it. That is pretty substantial ingredient list you could make quite a lot with all that.

I don't really know. But you have way more dark malts than you can use with the amount of base grains available. For instance you might use 10 pounds of the pale ale malt but only need a few pounds of the Caramel malts.

Maybe a brown ale or a black IPA.

Thanks. Yeah its a lot of ingedients, which is why I was looking for an inspirational nudge to get me started. This is a friend who decided to get into brewing, bought a ton of stuff, brewed one batch, and now its just sitting.

Ive brewed Schwarzbiers and like them a lot so thats an option. An ESB may be an option too.

Ok. Were gonna start w an ESB...lots of appropriate ingredients and he has US-04 yeast.

Could do some SMaSHes(centennial, cascade, and mosaic are good choices for this), a nice pale ale/IPA, maybe a schwarzbier or black IPA with the carafa. Maybe a nice english style like esb or dark mild or a bitter with all those fuggles and the dark crystal. 55lbs of carafa is a lot, your friend must really like it. That is pretty substantial ingredient list you could make quite a lot with all that.

Yeah, that much Carafa is an odd choice, but hey at least we got lots of options.

A friend of mine has a lot of grains on hand that need to be used. Looking for some recipe inspiration.

What beers(s) would you brew with the follow:

Beer Making Supplies (on hand)

Grains:

Weyermann Pale Ale Malt 50 lbs.
Wyermann Carafa Type 2 55 lbs.
Briess Caramel 10L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 20L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 40L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 60L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 120L 5 lbs.
Briess Caramel 10L 1 lbs.
Briess Caramel 80L 1 lbs.
Carapils 5 lbs.
Northern Brewer Extra Dark Crystal 1 lbs.
Briess Victory 1 lbs.
Weyermann Vienna 1 lbs.

Hops:

Fuggles 5k.
Amarillo 2 oz.
Citra 2 oz.
Simcoe 2 oz.
Cascade 10 oz.
Centennial 10 oz.
Willamette 3.5 oz.
Bravo 2 oz.
Tettnang 2 oz.
Chinook 2 oz.
Falconers Flight 2 oz.
Mosaic 5 oz.

Got what you need to make just about anything! Will need a little of this or that for some styles but you are pretty set. Maybe an oaked belgian dubbel or abbey. A neipa with the Amarillo, simcoe, citra and mosaic. A helles with the tettnang, a pilsner with the fuggles. A stout with the willamette. Some smashes? A pumpkin beer, and a spiced christmas ale.

I recommend you download Brewing Classic Styles spreadsheet. It provides the ingredients list for every beer in the book. It is designed to show which of the recipes in the book can be brewed with your current inventory. A handy resource when you have ingredients but don't know what you can make with them. http://www.winning-homebrew.com/recipe-database.html

Ok. Were gonna start w an ESB...lots of appropriate ingredients and he has US-04 yeast.

For an ESB you'd probably want an English base malt like Maris Otter or Fawcett Optic. But I bet the base malt you have with some medium caramel malt and the extra dark crystal would be close enough. Def have enough English hops! You've got the ingredients for a killer Centennial IPA though.

I recommend you download Brewing Classic Styles spreadsheet. It provides the ingredients list for every beer in the book. It is designed to show which of the recipes in the book can be brewed with your current inventory. A handy resource when you have ingredients but don't know what you can make with them. http://www.winning-homebrew.com/recipe-database.html

Cool. I have the book, but didnt know about the spread sheet.

For an ESB you'd probably want an English base malt like Maris Otter or Fawcett Optic. But I bet the base malt you have with some medium caramel malt and the extra dark crystal would be close enough. Def have enough English hops! You've got the ingredients for a killer Centennial IPA though.

The Weyermann Pale Malt is described as being appropriate for English ales. That will be our base.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/weyermann-pale-ale-25-kg

Got what you need to make just about anything! Will need a little of this or that for some styles but you are pretty set. Maybe an oaked belgian dubbel or abbey. A neipa with the Amarillo, simcoe, citra and mosaic. A helles with the tettnang, a pilsner with the fuggles. A stout with the willamette. Some smashes? A pumpkin beer, and a spiced christmas ale.

I have been looking at SMASH recipes too. I like the philosophy. A similar philosophy is one of the things I enjoy about brewing Pils...only a few ingredients but really spectacular results if done properly.

Anybody have a fav SMASH recipe that works with the above ingredients?

10lbs pale ale malt
Mash at 152°F
1oz centennial or Cascade at 60min, 15min, 5 min and at flameout. Then a two ounce dry hop. WLP 001, Us-05, or WLP090 are all good choices. Basically anything relatively clean. I've done it with centennial and cascade, both were delicious. This is my typical SMaSH recipe just the malt and hops rotate.

So happened that i just looked in my book for something else and right there was a smash ipa recipe. I think its 13 lbs base malt and 15 aa units (54 ibu) at 60, 1 oz at 15, 1 oz at f.o., and 1 oz dh.

Thanks guys. Brewing the ESB tomorrow. I think a SMASH will be next up. Just happened to have a very good SMASH by Boquete Brewing Company yesterday.

The ESB wort was quite tasty...so Im hoping for good things. Chilled at 64 ambient (in fridge) overnight and pitched US-05 this AM.

We did a two stage batch sparge. First runnings were very high gravity, next two were thinner but both in fermentable ranges still. I think we could have done a 3 batch parti-gyle brew...something for next time.

Latest posts

Back