What Would my OG be if I had 1 Gallon Less Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
So, i have something to fix with beersmith, but my last 2 beers post boil amount have been larger than my batch size.. i know.. i should have realized this ahead of time ha ha.

Anyway. made a 5 gallon batch and ended up with 6.25 gallons of wort. I ended up with a 1.067 OG. If i had 1.27 gallons less liquid, what would my OG have been. I know that this will most likely be an estimate. My expected OG was 1.078... and would like to know how well i did.

Also how would i calculate this mathematically?

WHO HOO! I WOULD have had 75% total efficiency had i seen this volume issue before hand :( I had estimated 70%.

Thanks dcp. I appreciate it.

no problem, any idea why only the last 2 have so much extra wort?

I had exactly the opposite problem this weekend . . . ended up ten points over my gravity with a gallon less wort than I figured.

I assume that it will just be stronger flavored beer . . .

no problem, any idea why only the last 2 have so much extra wort?

Yeah i think so. I told it that i had 2 gallons of dead space in my mash tun. The truth is that i can get the 2 gallons out, but 2 gallons of it is not in contact with my grain (under the false bottom).

I think that this has falsely inflated my numbers. I did a beer two weeks ago and noticed i had far too much wort, and was stupid enough to not check it again this time as i was kinda cramming it all in.

I need to see what is causing that, but i believe that has an effect on it.

Latest posts

Back