What would be the difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akervin

Reaction score
Have seen that most kits have you bring the solution from the steeped grains to a boil removing from the heat and then adding LME or DME and then bringing back to the heat and back to a boil.

Would it make a difference if you added the LME or DME to the solution before bringing it to a boil the first boil and remove the "bring to boil, remove from heat, add extract and then back to boil".

I'm curious if there's something special that the heat up to the boil before adding the extract does to the steeped grain solution.

Thanks for any input.

Honestly, the later you add extract in the boiling process the better. It's perfectly fine to add it the last 10 minutes of the boil. It will only slightly affect hops utilization (if using unhopped extract and physically adding hops to the boil).

Have seen that most kits have you bring the solution from the steeped grains to a boil removing from the heat and then adding LME or DME and then bringing back to the heat and back to a boil.

Would it make a difference if you added the LME or DME to the solution before bringing it to a boil the first boil and remove the "bring to boil, remove from heat, add extract and then back to boil".

I'm curious if there's something special that the heat up to the boil before adding the extract does to the steeped grain solution.

Thanks for any input.

The point of removing from the heat to add the liquid/dried malt extract is to prevent scorching on the bottom of the kettle. Like it was previously mentioned, add it later in the boil. It will prevent caramelization of the sugars. Hop utilization is a whole different argument that doesn't need to be had here...

Right my plan is to add half and half. Half at preboil/beginning boil and the other half at 10 mins of the 60 mins boil, definitely better hop utilization.

My question is really do you need to bring it to an initial boil before I add the first half of the extract or can I add it after removing the grains and then bring to a boil. I imagine it doesn't matter.

I think your question is, why bring the steeped liquid up to a boil, just to cool it down again and add the LME/DME...

I say screw it, here's my process:
1. Steep the grains
2. Sparge the grains (using a strainer)
3. Add 1/4 to 1/2 of my extract. OFF the heat to prevent burning.
4. Boil following hop schedule.
5. When it's time for the 15 minute hop, I turn the heat off, add the rest of the dme/lme, and stir it real good. Add the wort chiller... Bring back to a boil.
6. As soon as it boils I add whirlflock and 15 minute hop.
7. etc...

Not to hijack the thread, but I am using an electric stove, wouldn't adding a wort chiller kill the boil? Just thinking adding that much relatively cold copper would take a while to heat back up to boiling. Would it be better to have the chiller preheated in another pot or sterilize it iodine and not add it until flame out?

spokaniac said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I am using an electric stove, wouldn't adding a wort chiller kill the boil? Just thinking adding that much relatively cold copper would take a while to heat back up to boiling. Would it be better to have the chiller preheated in another pot or sterilize it iodine and not add it until flame out?

It should be boiled for 10 mins to sterilize if at all possible. If you wanna heat it up in another pot, and have that capability, then that would reduce time to bring back to a boil.

Bottom line it doesn't need to be boiled for long. Add it all near the end. Hops utilization will not be greatly affected

Bottom line it doesn't need to be boiled for long. Add it all near the end. Hops utilization will not be greatly affected

Again with the hop utilization...can you tell me the difference between the hop utilization you would get from a 2.5 gal boil and a 5 gal boil? Or the difference between a 5 gal extract full boil or a 5 gal extract late addition?

I'm guessing not. Neither can I. For a 5 or 10 gallon (or probably up to a bbl), you cannot tell the difference. We're talking about 10ths of a point on the IBU scale...

Just brew it each way and find out. Maybe everyone is full if CraP. I do beleive that the more sugar in the wort the less the hops will issomerize(turn into bitter) but its up to you and your process brew a few each way and you decide.

I think the main reason to bring it to a boil then add is that sugar or syrup will disolve quicker in hotter water, and be less likely to pool on the bottom and scorch while coming to a boil.

Personally, I never kill the heat, just pour in the extract while boiling. Of course, I use primarily DME, and it clumps and floats rather than sinks.

dbreienrk1 said:
Again with the hop utilization...can you tell me the difference between the hop utilization you would get from a 2.5 gal boil and a 5 gal boil? Or the difference between a 5 gal extract full boil or a 5 gal extract late addition?

I'm guessing not. Neither can I. For a 5 or 10 gallon (or probably up to a bbl), you cannot tell the difference. We're talking about 10ths of a point on the IBU scale...

That's why I said not greatly affected

Just brew it each way and find out. Maybe everyone is full if CraP. I do beleive that the more sugar in the wort the less the hops will issomerize(turn into bitter) but its up to you and your process brew a few each way and you decide.

...and dawdy10 absolutely correct. Many people come on here an regurgitate only what they have read even when they have no working knowledge of it. I used to be one of them. I stopped thinking that I knew what I was talking about and decided to learn it for myself.

I pre-heat my IC so it doesn't take long to bring my wort back to a boil. I put it in the boil for 10 mins after that...

To the OP I don't see a problem with what you want to do.

Back