what will I end up with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ok if this is gonna be a waste of time.someone tell me quick before I start adding hops please... I brewed yesterday and for some reason poured 2 gallons of water in my mash tun with the used grains. I just left it set on the counter. I went to dump and clean it this afternoon and decided to take a gravity reading of the run off and it was 1.050. I thought HMMMMM why not. I added in some more hot water and stirred it up drained it... poured the running back in and stirred it again and drained it off. The issue is this stuff has soured overnight. I used to feed gamefowl soured oats and know what they smell like and this stuff is definitely soured. I have 5 gallons in the brew pot right now and plan to boil down to 3 or so . Figure to lightly hop it and toss in some washed notty. This stuff won't kill me will it lol?

Hell, just let it ferment openly for a few months and have yourself a lambic if it's already sour.

I'd boil it, then add some extract or mash some non soured grain and mix it. (If you add fresh wort, boil them together) You might come up with something funky good.

I'd boil it, then add some extract or mash some non soured grain and mix it. (If you add fresh wort, boil them together) You might come up with something funky good.

Already boiling revvy...figure to boil down to 3 gallons and just see what the heck I end up with.. I think thats why I like this hobby so much. There are a ton of tried and true recipes but you can just about try anything.

What was your grain bill like. Plenty of beers taste nice when they are soured a bit. If it was something light, I would just add some fruit or backsweeten in the glass: what was once trash is now a drink for the ladies !

If it tastes like vomit, just prank people with it. Everybody wins.

Sour mash. What was the original grain bill?

Original grain bill was 14 pounds of 2 row and 1 pound of crystal 40.. made a beer with that and had a couple of gallons of heated sparge water left. So I poured that in the grains and stirred it up and covered it... forgot to empty it till this afternoon. And as I said when I took a gravity reading it was high enough to be interesting. I added some more hot water and drained it then poured the running back in the tun and stirred again then drained 5 gallons into the boil kettle.. boiled down to three gallons. I boiled for 120 minutes and added 1/2 oz columbus at 60...1/2 oz kent goldings at 30... and one ounce of the whole leaf unknown variety at 5...It actually smelled really good boiling. Pitched washed and started notty, and have some airlock activity (slow) already.

when I bottle this ( I have about 2.5 gallons) how much priming sugar? According to the calculator I would use as much in this 2.5 gallon batch as I generally use in a 5.5 gallon batch? I don't want bombs? I fermented it at room temp and it is done ( gravity readings taken) it has been cold crashing a couple of days and will be bottled soon. so any ideas?

Well, since 2.5 gallons is exactly half of a 5 gallon batch, you'd use exactly half as much priming sugar.

popped one of these open last night...while the smell is really bad, the taste is really pretty damned good. definitely has an "off" flavor but in a good way. Now I wish I had 5 gallons ratther than three.
The smell......well if you can remember back in school when some kid would puke and the janitor put that "stuff" over it to absorb it... thats it.

This is the kind of experimentation that leads to secret recipes and a greater understanding of the brew process itself, instead of just mimicking recipes and ingredient sheets. I just jumped into this hobby and fully intend to have a few experiments going soon. Great read!

Sounds like lacto to me. Smells like puked bleu cheese but actually tastes okay.

this stuff sat out warm all night and most of a day.. it was soured, BUT I boiled it of course.. would that not have killed any infection? ( not worried at all about my sanitation at bottling) It does smell bad but very drinkable.. plus I got to use the free hops again and I like em.

this stuff sat out warm all night and most of a day.. it was soured, BUT I boiled it of course.. would that not have killed any infection? ( not worried at all about my sanitation at bottling) It does smell bad but very drinkable.. plus I got to use the free hops again and I like em.

+1 you did a sour mash. So rather than brewing, fermenting and then letting lacto have it's way with the beer, you did it the other way around. Let the lacto have it's way with the wort, then boiled it and fermented. Nothing survived the boiling process alive, but the after effect of the lacto was still there.

Other than smell, I think this is proof that it really IS hard to screw up home brewing and have a completely undrinkable beer.

Very amusing read. I would definitely say let some of those bad boys have a nice long sit. Could very well end up being the best beer you've ever had.

Back