What was the beer/s that changed how you feel about ... Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vongo

Reaction score
1. Petes wicked ale saved me from a life of BMC, this was about 20 years ago.
2. Gueuze changed how I look at everything... About 2 years ago.

Funny you bring this up... it was Shock Top and the Michelob Wheat beer sampler pack. At the same time I had just seen an episode of Modern Marvels and they mentioned this thing called a "wheat beer." My how those two little things spawned into an obsession I cannot escape from.... 35 batches later here we are...

Ledimans Framboise Lambic and Guiness Stout (there's 2 different ones - and about the same time) before them I wouldn't touch beer, but that was because everything tasted like BMC.

Now making my own I know I can make something that I'd like even if everyone else goes 'What the heck is this?'
I like my beers low in hops.. or high in sweetness take your pick. - but that is me...

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout on tap
brooklynblackchocolatestout.jpg

About 15 years ago someone handed me a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I was hooked on microbrew but still drank some bmc.

5 years ago I took my first trip to Munich and spent a month drinking Augustiner Helles and Franziskaner Weissbier. Haven't been able to drink bmc since :)

It was gradual for me. Probably all started with yuengling, then boston lager and blue moon.

My first DFH 60 min probably sealed the deal though. I took it from my girl friends room mate. I had heard about it and wanted to try it, and some kid brought over a 6er of it (probably stole it from his parents) had one and left the rest in the fridge.

My gf though had a very abrupt change when she had her first St. Pauli Girl. Before that she wouldn't drink anything but coors light, but now she likes pretty much all of my beers. Its funny because I don't even really like st. pauli

For me, it was a Rhine Chasers Pale Ale about 20 years ago. After that, pretty much stopped drinking BMC...

tastes of different beers were always fun, but my 'wake-up' was 10 years ago at a beer festivial - Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale

After drinking whatever crap I could get my hands on in high school I got stationed in Bavaria, talk about a whole new world.

Coyote Springs Brewing Co.'s (now shut down :() Nut Brown.

Their head brewer was Brian Miller. He had to have ended up somewhere....

Back