What. Was. THAT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhelanKA7

Relax? RELAX?!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm drinkin off some homebrew. Have one bottle and everything's fine and dandy. Pour the second glass. Don't notice anything amiss, but as I go to take a sip a few minutes later after the head comes down I see THIS:

2012-05-07_21-49-15_241.jpg

I have a freaking brown booger or jellyfish organism floating on the top of my beer! Is it something that perhaps grew on the bottom of the bottle? It resembles a hunk of dead skin soaked in beer. After spooning out this thing I took a drink and it tastes fine. Anyone wanna play 21 questions about what this could possibly be? Aside from grain the only thing I put into this beer was a star of anise but this doesn't look like that and I doubt it could have gotten past fermentation to the bottling bucket and into a bottle.

Anyone wanna be a Whirfloc Holmes on this mystery?

looks like mold from the bottom of a bottle to me.

THat's what I'm guessing too. ANd that's what I'm going to tell myself. Like I said, beer tastes fine so I'm gonna keep drinking it but I can't look at that picture again or I'm gonna barf.

So if every step looked good up to pouring that out of one bottle, and given its shape, I too am going bottom of a dirty bottle crud.

Despite "knowing" I have cleaned every bottle, I have gone to bottling, turned a bottle to the light and said, wtf is that, and tossed it into the recycle bin.

looks like mold from the bottom of a bottle to me.

Looks like you didn't have that bottle clean enough. That's what mold looks like...IMO

Yep. Beer was left in the bottom of the bottle, it dried into a little rubbery film, and floated to the top of the next beer in the bottle. I have seen this. I inspect every cleaned bottle by looking "down the barrel" at a bright window.

Either mold or its some coagulated protein. Last 1.5bbl batch we did a skin formed on top of the beer as it went into the primary. Looked strangely like that.

I'm fairly certain, that if I took a swig and encountered the pseudo-condom looking beastie that you pulled from your bottle, I would have puked...And I would likely not taken a swig after it got "poured" out...LOL

It's a good conversation piece though :)

I'm fairly certain, that if I took a swig and encountered the pseudo-condom looking beastie that you pulled from your bottle, I would have puked...And I would likely not taken a swig after it got "poured" out...LOL

It's a good conversation piece though :)

I used to be homeless. I can eat/drink damn near anything. :fro:

jeepinjeepin said:
Were they used bottles?
Are you absolutely 100% definitely 100% positive they were 100% clean?

No I'm not so I'm thinking now it was a dirty bottle. Oh well. I'm not sick today so I guess it wasn't ebola. The beer did have kind of a "spicy" taste and didn't keep a head on the beer for very long. I guess that made the beer a BIPA lambic. New style!

No I'm not so I'm thinking now it was a dirty bottle. Oh well. I'm not sick today so I guess it wasn't ebola. The beer did have kind of a "spicy" taste and didn't keep a head on the beer for very long. I guess that made the beer a BIPA lambic. New style!

Well...if it was a condom,somebody may have had Tex/Mex right before...:drunk:

It's a moldy yeast condom.

The yeast were smart and used protection ;)

Back