What Type of Monster Have I Created?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWHopHead

Reaction score
About a week and a half ago I set out to brew an Imperial Stout (see recipe below). However I made a crucial error - I went to my LHBS and they did not have any DME, so I did a quick conversion to LME, but I did it backwards and instead of getting 11 lbs of DME I ended up going home with about 8.25 lbs of LME - which is really not what I wanted to do. I should have ended up with about 13.8 lbs of LME. So I severely under malted my Imperial Stout, and ended up with a gravity of about 1.06.

Question: Since I didn't add sufficient malt I know I have thrown the whole equation of this balanced recipe out of whack. What type of style am I going to end up with? With a lower sweetness and alcohol level the hops should probably shine through a little more, did I just make a Cascadian Dark Ale?

Additionally - this beer was meant to be stored/aged for about 6 months first. Given the lower OG, any recommendations on whether I should consider aging this beer a bit before putting it on tap? Either way, it will be drunk, I just want to know a little bit more about how you would classify it, and maybe what to expect. :mug:

John Harvard Imperial Stout Clone:

Stats:
OG: 1.097
Volume: 5 gal
ABV 9.3%

Steeping Grains:
12 oz German Vienna Malt
12 oz Flaked Barley
4oz Rice Hulls
1lb 80L Crystal Malt
8oz British Roasted Barley
8 oz British Black Patent Malt

Base Malt:
11lb Light DME

Hops:
1.5 oz Chinook 12.7 AA%

Yeast
Wyeast 1028 London Ale

I suppose it depends at what times those hops additions were made. It could just be a slightly more bitter stout. Too many specialty malts to be a black ipa though.

Is that from the brewery restaurant John Harvards that closed down in Lake Grove?

The recipe is from 'Beer Captured' and it lists John Harvard's Brew House in Connecticut.

Back