What type of hops should I use in an East Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
I want to brew an East Coast IPA using hops primarily from the eastern US. What hops would you recommend?

I don't know if there are any hops that actually originated in the eastern US but a lot of small growers in Virginia grow Cascade and Nugget hops because they tend to do well in our hot, humid summer growing season compared to other varieties. These 2 hops and Centennial grow the best for me in Central VA.

It's my understanding that an "east coast IPA" is closer to an English IPA in that it isn't as hoppy as the west's version, with more caramel mats, making it a little bit darker, leaning toward red. It's still an American IPA so use American hops, but use more "classic" American hops like cluster, nugget, or even cascade. Really you can probably use anything though

if you use victory's hopdevil as an example you'll want earthy/piney hops and bready malt like munich and Vienna.

Honestly I don't think there is really such a thing. Dogfish head 60 minute and Heavy Seas Loose Cannon use mostly west coast hops I believe. Loose Cannon: Warrior, Simcoe, Palisade, Centennial, Cascade, Citra. I don't buy the English IPA idea. I just don't.

I read about the difference between east and west in some brewshops catalog, I wanna say it was MoreBeer. I see where you're coming from though, since the American IPA became popular because of western breweries. Hell I don't even know if east coast breweries where even making IPAs before that

I read about the difference between east and west in some brewshops catalog, I wanna say it was MoreBeer. I see where you're coming from though, since the American IPA became popular because of western breweries. Hell I don't even know if east coast breweries where even making IPAs before that
they were. IPA's were being made on the east coast before there was a west coast. smuttynose's IPA is based on a very old English recipe. the west coast IPA is a product of the craft beer movement of the last 30 years.

I think today's IPAs are a direct result of the craft beer revolution and the hops arm race. Having said that, I've had bland low IBU IPAs on each coast and in the middle. But, I've had some kick-arse ones too. :mug:

Latest posts

Back