What type of hops should I use in a tea inspired brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
In going to brew a beer with tea and honey. What types of hops should i use? In thinking something earthy that doesn't take away from the tea flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think we need to hear a little more about the type of beer. Is this going to be light or dark? And what about the tea? Green, black, white? Chai? Red? Something else?

I would guess, though, that whatever else is true of the beer, you should probably let the tea shine and keep the hops out of the way. So like with many spice or fruit beers (or other beers that have a big non-malt, non-hops flavoring), you probably want only a bittering addition.

If it's earthy you're after, Fuggles/Willamette/Styrian Goldings is a good choice.

I have a blond ale recipe that I plan on using as the base. I want to use green tea leaves and honey. I was thinking of maybe using cluster hops. Also what should the hop schedule look like?

Haha, I still feel like it'd be good to have a little more description of what you're aiming for. But that's what I was saying--only make a 60-minute addition, and nothing else. And don't bitter it very much--say, 15 or 20 IBUs is more than enough.

How do you plan to add the tea? You could add it at flameout, but that would risk overextraction of tannins. You might instead add it to the primary and effectively make coldbrewed tea in your beer.

You could also just make tea, and add that to taste. That has the advantage of allowing you to adjust exactly to the level you want.

Haha sorry in should have been more specific. I'm aiming to create a beer that the main taste and aroma will be a honey green tea. So I would want it to have a very low hop profile with an earthy undertone. The blonde ale recipe I use has always turned out great so I want to use this as a starting point.

For the tea I'm still trying to decide how I want to go about adding it.

I was thinking maybe adding some tea at almost ever step of brewing. Steep it. Boil it. Let it ferment. Dry hop with it. And even add cold brewed tea on bottling day.

Latest posts

Back