What type of fittings are "safe" on an aluminum pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
I'm investigating my next brewery purchase; a 10 gallon brew kettle.

I like the Blichman and Polarwares out there, but I've a hard time justifying that cost. I have found a few options that appear more budget friendly.

First off I've seen a few options for SS pots - the best price I've found seems right around $100. Fittings are obviously additional, as would be a step bit to drill the holes for said fittings.

But I've also seen a couple options for aluminum pots at half that price - which speaks to my frugal side! My only concern is with the fittings I'd install; how big a concern is galvanic corrosion when using stainless (or even nickel plated brass) fittings on an aluminum pot?

I'd stick with Aluminum, SS, and Copper for brewery related items. You can used brass, but it is recommended to "pickle" it first by boiling. This is to remove traces of lead. Others don't worry about it and just use the brass due to the low levels of lead you're actually being exposed to. It's all personal preference / how paranoid are you?

If you are.concerned about galvanic corrosion, look at the galvanic series. ( I would post a link but I am on my phone). You want metals close to each other. BUT you are also deaing with a short contact time...that will help.

You won't really get any galvanic corrosion in an aluminum pot, at least not any that you will likely notice. If you use a SS pot you likely won't notice anything either.

And to expand on this, I've used Aluminum, SS, Copper & Brass... ...none have given me any issues...

I have SS fittings and a copper fitting in my aluminum pot and no worries, though they are all mounted with silicon washers between the metals. Maybe that changes things so no contact = no galvanic reaction.

Latest posts

Back