What type of co2 line to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
I am working on a 6 tap system, and have several friends working on 1 or two tap systems and we will need a lot of gas line. I was just going to order a 100' roll instead of paying $.50/ft at LHBS.

What type should I get? PVC, Polyethylene, etc? I assumed PVC, but that seemed rather expensive. Then I saw this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5180k17/=b6rbje

It is black... I kind of liked that idea. I tried a search but could only find info on sizes and nothing on type of material.

It has a high pressure rating and is recommended for gas, you will probably be gtg with this tubing. But, I can't tell you off the top of my head of LLDPE is compatible with CO2.

I am working on a 6 tap system, and have several friends working on 1 or two tap systems and we will need a lot of gas line. I was just going to order a 100' roll instead of paying $.50/ft at LHBS.

What type should I get? PVC, Polyethylene, etc? I assumed PVC, but that seemed rather expensive. Then I saw this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5180k17/=b6rbje

It is black... I kind of liked that idea. I tried a search but could only find info on sizes and nothing on type of material.

Head to your local big box hardware store...they likey have string reinforced high(er) psi tubing. I get all my tubing from HD. ;)

+1. The gas line is less important, as long as it's properly reinforced. The braided vinyl/pvc will be fine. Keep in mind, gas lines can be short and it won't matter. The liquid lines are where you want your money....they need to be a certain length to balance the pour, and you don't want off flavors from cheap vinyl lines. Get them clear if you can, you'll want to see if you're getting the crap out when you clean the lines.

I don't like non-food grade stuff being in contact with my food. If I smell a line and I smell vinyl I don't want it around my beer and all the HD/Lowes line in my area smells pretty strongly of vinyl. I prefer to use the no odor stuff on both sides of the keg. Not saying the others are wrong and I'm right, just my preference.

In this hobby, you gotta do whatever helps you sleep at night, otherwise you'll start imagining that your beer has off flavors. I know I used to think star-san was making my beer taste like chemicals and got really worked up over it. I was actually fermenting too warm; the phenolics were the problem, not star-san!

Yeah starsan is good stuff...especially when compared to something like chlorine. I know you can run water through the HD/Lowes vinyl for a minute and it won't smell so the potential for off flavors is relatively limited...I have some floating around for transfer lines...its just the thought of having beer sitting in a line that I do not know if it is food grade.

I've got the thick wall bevlex or whatever it is for my bev lines. I've actually got about 150' of it due to a large craigslist purchase.... But now that I'm hooking up my co2 line, I want to make sure I do it right the firs time. The co2 comes into contact with the line and then comes in contact with my beer. It might sound anal, but like I said, I'd like to get it right the first time. I know my LHBS sells the red gas line, but I can't find that line on Mcmaster carr. Anybody help me out with a part number for that kind of stuff? Thanks!

I got the pricey red tubing from Micromatic. It is a small thing but being able to quickly and clearly differentiate between the liquid and gas lines makes my life much easier when digging around inside a full kegerator.

I'm with you weirdboy.... when i have 6 taps and 1 nitro tap running - the more organized the better.... now if I only had that part number....

The vinyl stuff from more beer is very good and affordable. It's really thick, soft and flexible.

Use 3/16" beverage tubing for the beer lines (fit's very tight on 1/4" fittings)

Use 5/16" for gas lines (fits very tight on 3/8" fittings)

http://morebeer.com/search/102240/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Beer_Line_Gas_Line

$.60 per foot doesn't seem cheap. Especially if you add shipping. My LHBS is .50 a foot. I figured if I order a 100' roll, which I need anyway, I might be able to get it for $30 or something.

$.60 per foot doesn't seem cheap. Especially if you add shipping. My LHBS is .50 a foot. I figured if I order a 100' roll, which I need anyway, I might be able to get it for $30 or something.

Then support your LHBS. .50 is a great price if the quality is good. Compare to 1.50/ft at micromatic http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/hoses-cid-633.html

But this ain't cheap crap you get at lowes. This is very high quality tubing.

Why on earth would you need 100'? Just move the tank closer to the kegs.

Then support your LHBS. .50 is a great price if the quality is good. Compare to 1.50/ft at micromatic http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/hoses-cid-633.html

But this ain't cheap crap you get at lowes. This is very high quality tubing.

Why on earth would you need 100'? Just move the tank closer to the kegs.

I'll be running 7 kegs... avg 5' each. I would rather have a longer amount of tubing rather than leave them short and have it bug me later. Plus I have about 4 other guys in my HBC that are also building a kegerator... Plus I like to keep extra around...

I'll be running 7 kegs... avg 5' each. I would rather have a longer amount of tubing rather than leave them short and have it bug me later. Plus I have about 4 other guys in my HBC that are also building a kegerator... Plus I like to keep extra around...

I have 4 guys that need about 12'

48 + 35 = 86. So we can get it at the LHBS for $46 after taxes or we can try and get it online for less and have leftovers...

We've gotten off slightly off topic here.... Does anybody have a part number for co2 tubing ordering in bulk from Mcmaster Carr?

I know this thread is a bit old, but would like to know if anyone can recommend gas line material after 6 years of operating/testing.

I am now debating if I should get braided non-food grade PVC, or braided food grade PVC tube for my 5/16" ID, C02 and Nitro tube(s). More worried about if any plastic flavor would carry over via gas line?
((for beer line I have 3/16" ID Clearflo Ag-47 Antimicrobial PVC tubing, have yet to receive the tube from supplier. Don't know if this would have any taint flavor.))

Thanks!

I know this thread is a bit old, but would like to know if anyone can recommend gas line material after 6 years of operating/testing.

I am now debating if I should get braided non-food grade PVC, or braided food grade PVC tube for my 5/16" ID, C02 and Nitro tube(s). More worried about if any plastic flavor would carry over via gas line?
((for beer line I have 3/16" ID Clearflo Ag-47 Antimicrobial PVC tubing, have yet to receive the tube from supplier. Don't know if this would have any taint flavor.))

Thanks!

I have only been kegging for 6 months. For simplicity, I use the same tubing for both CO2 and beer. From Amazon: ATP Vinyl-Flex PVC Food Grade Plastic Tubing, Clear, 3/16" ID x 5/16" OD, 100 feet Length . It is food grade and good up to 55psi. It is clear, so I can see if beer is backing up into my CO2 lines. I haven't noticed any plastic taste. It is PVC though so I wouldn't use it with anything hot. It is low cost, when I purchased it was just over $0.12/ft. So it won't cost much to replace it frequently if needed.

I use these lines with push in fittings to make things easy to connect and disconnect.

I haven't done Nitro, so I don't know how they would hold up to higher pressures. I have been using 10-15psi CO2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back