What to seal my apple press with? Thompson's WaterSeal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstorm

Reaction score
I built an apple press, and now I need to waterseal it. What have you all used for sealing wood that's in contact with apples? Obviously it should be food safe. My first thought was Thompson's WaterSeal, but the warnings on the label make me hesitant to use it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

EZ-DO Food Safe Coating: EZ-DO is a premium, nontoxic coating that's ideal for coating the wood parts of your fruit press. Its polyurethane and linseed composition penetrates and preserves, and it's easy to apply with a brush, or by wiping on with a cloth.

pleasanthillgrain sells it and I think amazon and other places sell it

WVMJ

The petroleum distillates that keep the paraffin in Thompson's in suspension make it rather unappealing for food contact uses. Vegetable oils, including olive oil, can go rancid making them unappealing but mineral oil could work if you are willing to reapply it until the wood is saturated. There are a variety of bee's wax based coatings that might work too including Tstorm's suggestion.

Good stuff, thanks everyone! Beeswax it is... a rancid press sounds nasty.

EZ-DO Food Safe Coating: EZ-DO is a premium, nontoxic coating that's ideal for coating the wood parts of your fruit press. Its polyurethane and linseed composition penetrates and preserves, and it's easy to apply with a brush, or by wiping on with a cloth.

pleasanthillgrain sells it and I think amazon and other places sell it

WVMJ

EZ-DO is worth the price. I made a wood butcher block cutting board for my mom about 6 years ago and used EZ-Do to seal it. You would never guess she has not resealed that thing.

IMO you spent time to build a press, seal it up right unless you are thinking it might need tweaking later.

I would think any wood cutting board sealer/treatment will work. If you want to save some money.

You can make your own sealer using mineral oil and beeswax. I use a 4:1 ratio oil to wax. A quart of mineral oil is a couple of bucks. Not sure about the beeswax as I have bees so harvest my own. I put the mineral oil in a tin can in a pan of water on the stove. Add the beeswax and heat. Use a wooden spoon to stir (nicely seals the spoon as well). Let cool and apply with a clean cloth. You might have to reapply every couple of years.

Latest posts

Back