What to place in bottom of kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing. You don't apply heat to the kettle with the bag inside. You heat the water to the proper strike temperature, then add the bag and grains.

If your temps are too hot or cold you can add hot or cold water to change the temp.

If you need to add a little heat to raise mash temp a few degrees, just do it gently and stir while heating.

Any heat on you should be stirring!

Mash out heating not mandatory IMHO.

I put a veggie steamer in the bottom of my pot as a precaution. I don't mash out. The greenbayrackers calculator is very good for figuring out strike water temp and hitting your mash temp so you don't have to add heat.

I bought a tamale pot that has a removable steamer tray. Keeps the bag about 2-3 inches off the bottom. I just pull it out right after I pull the bag out

I just stir when heating the pot to maintain mash temp or mash out (especially in winter because I brew in the garage).

I did my fist batch if biab last weekend and did not have any scorching of the bag.

So far so good.

i put a veggie steamer in the bottom of my pot as a precaution. I don't mash out. The greenbayrackers calculator is very good for figuring out strike water temp and hitting your mash temp so you don't have to add heat.

+1

I heat my strike water on my electric stove with the bag in it with no issues at all. All the heat that an electric stove can create is pretty easily absorbed into the giant mass of 3-5 gallons of water. Putting it on gas or propane might be another issue however.

I also use a steamer tray. It came with my 80qt Concord tri-ply kettle. It sits just above the manifold/dip tube that I installed in the kettle and works nicely.

I found that a small weber grill grate fits perfectly in the bottom of my kettle. I tied a piece of dental floss to it and just pull it out after the mash is complete.

@craigmw Do you also use the steamer tray as a strainer for collecting wort?

Do you mean after the mash is done? No, on 5 gallon batches, I just pull the bag up out of the kettle and let it drain out of the bag, suspending the grain bag in one hand and spinning the bag to wring it out from the top. I then place it in a Homer bucket (5 gallon plastic) to drain out the rest. For 10 gallon batches, I use a modified Alton Brown turkey derrick using a couple of pulleys and rope attached to a ladder. I'm in the process of making a modified Papazian lautertun using two Homer buckets with one bearing numerous holes drilled into the bottom. After mashing, I plan to pull out the bag and then transfer to the drilled bucket sitting inside a second bucket. This will allow me to squeeze out the remaining wort, remove the top bucket with holes and then pour in the wort squeezed from the bag.

When brewing outside in the 30f weather I used a flickering flame and had the bag tied to the keggle handle. I also had a probe with alarm to monitor. I only did this after the first twenty min or so. I also haven't made a good blanket wrap yet so I'm making due.

I use an electric range element pan from Walmart for 3 dollars or so, flipped upside down. Has a hole in the middle to allow flow, works great.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Remember reading a while back, a guy simply placed a dinner plate below the bag in the kettle, I admired the ease and availability, likely works fine.

But still need to stir if siding heat to distribute, and stirring will protect the bag.

Like just about everyone on this thread has said, it is really an unnecessary piece of equipment to have a false bottom. I use binder clips, and if I absolutely need to turn the burner on, I just lift it up a bit, clip it on, and stir as I heat.

These -25 degree wind chill temps here in northern Illinois kill the high temps in my mash in my garage. HAHA :rockin: Cold weather brewing!

I have a steamer basket with bolts in the side ensure it does not hit the elements considering mine is a 3500 watt 120 volt ebiab.

Back