What to make with WLP570?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmendick

Reaction score
I was at LHBS and picked up WLP570 on "accident":D
Now I have a Belgian Golden Strong yeast, but no pilsner malt or noble hops...
I would like to make a slightly hoppy "Belgian-ish" beer.
Here is a recipe with what I have on hand.

BIAB 5.5 Gallon
OG -1.062
FG - 1.013
IBU - 46
15 - Lovibond

11# Breiss 2-Row
1# Special B

1 oz Cascade - FWH
1 oz Amarillo - 45
1 oz Cascade - 20
1 oz Amarillo - 5

White Labs WLP 570 Belgian Golden Strong with a .5L Starter

I plan on mashing at 149ish to dry it out a bit as well.

Please feel free to tear this recipe apart, it's really a case of "what do I have, so I dont have to go shopping again this week."

Kinda thinking the same thing, I think like a pound of Corn Sugar (I have like 3-4 packs of priming sugar that I will never use) at the end of the boil.
According to Brewpal that would raise the OG to 1.069

I would dramatically reduce the Special B. I overdid it in a dubbel and it ended up tasting like burnt raisins. Gross.

I would dramatically reduce the Special B. I overdid it in a dubbel and it ended up tasting like burnt raisins. Gross.

That's a good point. I have had a similar experience and would not go over 5% personally. If you want the added color/flavor you could also go with colored candi syrup rather than plain sugar.

I won't be making this batch until this weekend, so I went to LHBS and decided to go more wheaty, and "significantly reduced" Special B
BIAB 5.5 Gallon
OG -1.063
FG - 1.013
IBU - 50
7 - Lovibond

6.5# Breiss 2-Row
4# Wheat Malt
1# Flaked Wheat
4oz Special B

2 oz Cascade - FWH
1 oz Amarillo - 45
1 oz Cascade - 20
1 oz Amarillo - 5

White Labs WLP 570 Belgian Golden Strong with a 1L Starter according to YeastCalculator.com (Jamil's StirPlate)

According to the Bitterness Ratio on Brewpal it's .79, Too much, not enough, or about right for a "Belgian Wheaty Golden IPA"?

Back