What to make with this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
alright my next brew was suppose to be a trappist style using from bret yeast in the secondary. sadly my order won't come in till early next week ( actually a good thing because i talked to my LHBS adn there order got into town but won't deliver because of the 4th).

Anyway i walked around and tasted some grains trying to figure out what to make i really wanna brew on the 4th. this is what i picked up

1 lb chocolate malt
2 lb Caramunich
5 lb wheat(i love wheat beer)
4 lb 6 row pale
2 lb 2 row pale

1 oz amarillo @8.6aa
1 oz glacier @7.4 aa

nottingham
safale us-05

and a blend i am bout to rack off
wlp500 trappist

any ideas on what might work well i figured anything i don't use i can just mash and make a starter for another beer. if i fruit might work out well i can pick some up later for a secondary.

Thanks
wlp029 kolsch

Bit of a MacGyver brew! I like it. I would add a sugar such as brown sugar or turbinado. Hit the brew with some of your favorite spices. Maybe even some saffron at the end of the boil.

Andy

You could make a tasty amber.

4 lb American Six-row Pale (45%)
2 lb American Two-row Pale (23%)
1 lb 8 oz Wheat Malt (17%)
1 lb 4 oz Caramunich Malt 60 (14%)
1 oz Chocolate Malt (US) (1%)

1.0 oz Glacier 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo 20 min
.5 oz Amarillo 5 min

US-05

~1.047 at 75%, 32 IBU, 12 SRM

i have never used the chocolate i just walked around the brew store and tasted them all then bought the 1's i liked. is it a strong malt that is used in only low amounts ?

All your pale, all your wheat, .5 amarillo to bitter, .5 amarillo for aroma, nottingham.
Kind of an American whopper wheat. I get 19 IBU's and 6% alcohol.
Maybe knock out some of the 6row to lower the OG - I was just trying to use up your stash.

Now that I see you wanted to brew today - why don't you tell us what you did finally brew...

-OCD

You could do a Brown Porter and use more of the Chocolate Malt.

4 lb American Six-row Pale(48%)
2 lb American Two-row Pale (24%)
1 lb Caramunich Malt 60 (12%)
12 oz Chocolate Malt (US) (9%)
8 oz Wheat Malt (6%)

1 oz Glacier at 60 min

Nottingham yeast

Five gallons at ~1.044 at 75%, 24 SRM, 25 IBU

i like it i was just about to post my final recipe lol

1lb choclate
3lb wheat
2 lb 2 row
4 lb 6 row
1 oz amirilo @ 60
.5 glacer @ 30
mash at 155 single infusion

i think i like your better what would you mash it at

The Porter 155-157, the Amber 151-154, yours I don't know--probably high (157) because it has no crystal malt. That much Chocolate Malt without any crystal will make it taste like a stout. It really needs the sweetness form the Caramunich to give a chocolaty flavor.

Back