What to dry hop with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothreat

Reaction score
I made a Summit ale and it is ready for the secondary. I want to dry hop, but would like some advice. The recipe is:

9.5# 2 row
1/4 # crystal (20L)
1/4 carapils
1/2 oz summit (60)
1 oz cascade (15)
Safale -05 yeast

I was thinking about 1 oz centennial to dry hop. I like the grapefruit, citrus tones of the hops I have, but want to make it a little more complex. I made this beer with only Summit once and it was good, but simple. Any suggestions?

How about Summit and Cascade? Often times the best hops to dry-hop with are the hops you used in the boil.

How about Summit and Cascade? Often times the best hops to dry-hop with are the hops you used in the boil.

Yeah, especially since you are calling it a summit ale...

I would use the hops I hopped with...especially the summit....that is they flavor/aroma you would want to predominate.

I really like the Centennial too, but I also considered Amarilla. I guess I will check out my LHBS tomorrow and see what they have. Maybe 1/2 oz of each.
If I had more kegs, I would split the batch and do each half with the different hops. I need more kegs!!

Back