What to do ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klmonson

Reaction score
Just finished making a very hoppy ale. I didn't realize until after I pitched that the straining screen wasn't in the funnel I used to dump the wort into the carboy. all those hops and break material are now in the bottom of the carboy. I am usually of the mind to "don't worry and have a homebrew", but if there is something I can do I am hoping someone can tell me how it is going to affect my beer.

Thanks,

Haha, it shouldn't ruin your beer, at least! :p Seriously though, the most you could do is sanitise another vessel and transfer it, if you're super worried. If not, think of this as an 'experiment' to see what the cold break will do to your beer's flavour!

my friend has never strained a single one of his 5 batches beer and his first 5 beers were better than my first 55. just rack to a secondary after the krausen drops and all will be fine. taste it going into the secondary before you do any dry hopping.

I've been brewing about 5 years and gave up straining in the first year. I toss the whole batch in the primary and let it go to town.

I have a different perspective than those who answered use a secondary. I say leave it in the primary until the trub has settled into a compact mass (4 - 6 weeks) and your beer will be crystal clear and yummy tasting.

I don't strain and I seldom use a secondary. Leave it alone for three weeks, siphon carefully into your bottling bucket and enjoy.

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll stop worrying. I'll be sure to taste when I rack before I add the hops to the secondary. I wanted this batch to be super hoppy anyhow. :)

Back