What to do with these grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
Hello everyone, got a question about what I could do with a mixed bag of grains.

I ordered 7.25 pounds of grains from a brewery/home brew shop yesterday for a PM stout, all crushed and mixed in the same bag. But when I got home I realized it seemed a bit lighter than it should be, and sure enough it weighed only 5 pounds, so 2.25lbs were missing. I don't know what was left out or in what proportion. I ordered:

2lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Vienna
.75lbs Flaked Barley
.75lbs Crystal 80
.75lbs Chocolate
.5lbs Roasted Barley
.5lbs Special B

I went back today, and explained. They apologized and redid the order completely, since it seems impossible to determine exactly what was left out. They gave me the correct grain bill and said to keep the messed up grains too. It seems likely that at least one amount was done incorrectly as well since there definitely is flaked barley, roasted malts, and perhaps (I'm not 100% sure) crystal present... They said it was probably that either MO or Vienna was left out entirely, but then what about the other missing .25lbs?

Long story short, I don't know exactly what I have in this mixed bag, but don't want to toss it (obviously). There are 5lbs total of some proportion of the above grains. How would you use this?

They just redid the whole thing? That's good service yo...

It was great service the second time around. The first time was not so great... If they didn't fix it, they'd likely lose a customer. But yes, I was happy with the customer service.

Also, welcome to HBT!

I got a bag like that once. Some guy went into the LHBS and ordered a bunch of grains. He was making an extract batch with specialty grains but ordered grains by mistake. When I went in it had been there a few days and they had 6 or 8 pounds of I forgot whats in here. Do you want it for realy cheap?

It looked kind of dark, so I split it in two batches and topped off with Marris Otter for one batch and two row for the other. I used different hops for each one. They both ended up being really good (and really cheap) but can't be duplicated.

You dont want to use those. Who knows what could happen? Luckily I have an industrial strength grain disposal unit (GDU). Send them to me and ill disposs of them in an,environmentally friendly way

Go on just make a batch with it, free mystery beer = you can´t buy that stuff, nobody can but you got it ;)

That is a lot of dark specialty grains for me. I would split it and make two batches.

I like your optimism, Mikeysab, but I think I'll use my own disposal method. I think the idea of cutting it with some Maris Otter and splitting the batch sounds good, like you did Mrk305. It does seem to have a lot of specialty grains, but then again, who knows? It's even tough to tell how much of the bill is roasted grains. Still, splitting sounds good. Grab some Willamette and Northern Brewer hops, add some Nottingham, and I may have a couple small batches of tasty brown ales!

Thanks for the replies.

Back