What to do with the extra hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
I got an amber ale kit from Austin Homebrew. It contains three 1 oz packages of hop pellets. The recipe calls for 3/4 oz of one and 1/2 oz of the other two. I don't recall not using the entire package in the past unless I just wasn't paying attention. What, if anything, can I do with the leftover hops?

For lack of a vaccum packing system, just double bag them in ziplock bags and put in the freezer. They'll keep for a while.

Are you sure that they gave you extra? Seems odd to me but I have only ever used one kit. Do you have a scale to double check?

Are you sure that they gave you extra? Seems odd to me but I have only ever used one kit. Do you have a scale to double check?

The packages all say 1 oz and on my 1# scale, they are all about 1 oz. This is my 7th time (all from kits) and the first time I recall the packages being different from the recipe.

I've saved them as a lot of the styles of beers I like use similar hops. Eventually, I'll just use them up on something or hop up a cream ale...there's always somewhere to boil them.

When you get into brewing recipes that aren't boxed kits, like those here or in books, you'll end up with partial ounces of a variety of hops.

You could use the rest of the hops as a late addition to the boil for more flavor or you could add them at flame-out for more aroma. You could even use them when the active ferment is over as dry-hopping.

Latest posts

Back