What to do with my hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAS

Reaction score
I am new to home beer brewing (though I have fermented cider), but I have a neighbor who has done it that can help me out.

I grew some hops in my backyard this year. Since it's the first year, not a lot of yield, but I did get 1.6 OZ of dried Cascade and 2.4 OZ of dried Nugget. I'd like to brew something using only my homegrown hops. We're thinking some kind of pale ale. I was just looking for some input:

1. Do I have enough hops for a 5 gallon batch, or will I need to go smaller?

2. What type of malt extract should I use? Since it's my first batch, I don't want to get into the all grain stuff. The extract seems like it would be easier to use.

3. What yeast should I use?

Any other recipe suggestions, or suggestions in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

I think the best idea would be to send them to me, I'll brew up a batch and ship you a few bottles back. ;)

You've got plenty of hops, go for an IPA. Use a nice clean yeast, maybe US-05. You can get away with mostly light/pale LME and some steeping grains, there should be a good number of extract pale ale recipes around.

Here's a real simple Pale

6 lbs light LME
1/2 crystal 60L

Steep the crystal at 150 for 20 minutes.

1 oz Nugget @ 60
half your Cascade @ 15
Rest @ 5

US-05, S-04 or Nottingham

Latest posts

Back