What To Do with Lager (34/70) Yeast Cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I brewed a session beer at 1.038, then pitched a Munich Dunkel on the yeast cake (1.052), and it's coming up to D-rest temps. I'll rack it pretty soon and I'm not wanting to waste the yeast. Here's some ideas of what I could do, but wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything. I like variety, so I'm looking to do something a little different from what I've already got around (SN Stout and .

-Bock/Dunkel Bock--too similar to what I've already got in the Munich Dunkel.
-Baltic Porter--I have a big porter already from last winter (Denny's BVIP). It's also another Munich-heavy brew.
-lighter lager--like the session lager I just made.
-Doppelbock--I've never done one. Maybe the sheer gravity difference would differentiate it enough from the MD.
-Pre-Prohibition Porter--would have a different character with adjunct (I'd probably go 20% corn grits), but I'm not really sure of a good grain bill.
-Classic American Pils (I don't have the right hops, but could wing it)
-Imperial Helles--something like a Maibock but maybe bigger.
-IPL--this might work out, especially if I maybe did a red version.

What am I missing? Help me brainstorm!

34/70 is as versatile as it gets. Anything from yellow lawnmower beer to big malty beasts. A traditional bock done well is very different to a Munich dunkel IMO. I try to get lots of rich flavor without too much alcohol.
You could look at rauchbier, schwatzbier, APLs, rye pilsner or rye whatever.
One of my favourite lagers is a simple 2-row + cascade hoppy lager. Not quite a smash but the simplicity plays well with the clean yeast.
Anyway, have fun whatever you decide. Make sure you pitch plenty.

I might even make a hoppy amber and just do it as a Lager. My next simple, light beer will be a British style.

Hazy IPA. 34/70 is one of the only yeasts documented to actually biotransform any sort of hop oils. I keep wanting to experiment with 34/70 in a hoppy beer fermented at 60-65 but I haven’t done it yet.

I just did a doppelbock with my 34\70 cake and it cranked it out in no time. Good flavor, no off flavors. I used the recipe for Evil Goat, you can find it in the HBT recipe database. It's a great beer, I have made it many times. I do find that for this recipe, decoction mashing has made a difference for me. Cheers!

How about a New Zealand pilsner? Just take a standard German Pils recipe and sub out the noble hops for some New Zealand ones.I'm planning on doing a Motueka/pils SMASH for christmas.

All good ideas. I might go with doppelbock, since my club is running a big beer competition. I'll look into the Evil Goat recipe.

I'm interested in an IPA, though. Maybe I'll reserve some of the cake for that purpose, since I'm sure I'll have plenty.

Just added dry hops to a small 3 gallon experiment with just 34/70 fermented at 62ish ambient... also added some 34/70 to a SO4 primary fermented IPA towards the end of fermentation with dry hops added 12 hours later...

Just added dry hops to a small 3 gallon experiment with just 34/70 fermented at 62ish ambient... also added some 34/70 to a SO4 primary fermented IPA towards the end of fermentation with dry hops added 12 hours later...

I ended up doing a Baltic Porter.

What's the point of adding the second yeast?

For it's supposed biotransformative properties. Very few yeasts have been actually documented to be able to bio transform hop compounds.
34/70 is one of those few yeasts.

Latest posts

Back